PDA

View Full Version : URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Vet closed. Waiting until tomorrow.

baileyrianne
11-16-14, 01:23 pm
When I woke up my guinea pig was having a hard time breathing and she needs a vet. The vet is closed today, so what can I do to help her in the meantime. I believe that she has URI and I don't want to lose her.

bpatters
11-16-14, 01:39 pm
If she's having a hard time breathing, you need to see an emergency vet because she may not make it until tomorrow. Many ER vets are not very knowledgeable about guinea pigs, so first call around the see if you can find a clinic that has some experience with them. Print off this list of dangerous medicines for guinea pigs and take it with you so they won't treat your pig with something that will kill it: http://www.guinealynx.info/dangerous_medications.html

Guinea pigs are usually treated with Baytril, but it's not recommended for pigs under 350 grams. If your pig is small, they may give another medication.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

baileyrianne
11-16-14, 02:06 pm
I cannot find and emergency vet near me. I'm still looking, but most are closed because it's Sunday.

Guinepig
11-16-14, 02:21 pm
Hope your piggie is ok.

bpatters
11-16-14, 02:22 pm
An emergency vet will be open on the weekend. What city are you closest to?

baileyrianne
11-16-14, 02:34 pm
The biggest city near me is virginia beach

bpatters
11-16-14, 02:53 pm
If you google "emergency vets virginia beach" (without the quotes), you'll find four 24-hour vets that you could talk to.