PDA

View Full Version : Conditions Chattering at blind pig!!!

TawniRae
11-15-14, 06:15 pm
I have three pigs at the moment and up until recently they have all lived in harmony. They have plenty of space to run around and have alone time. Well one of them wasn't looking so good and when I took her to the vet I found out she magically became blind. They gave me meds and such for her and told me to keep her away from the other two for a while. Well I finally felt like she was ready to be part of the group again. I started with one friend and everything went fine so I added the other. Not so great. The largest pig keeps chattering at the blind pig and I'm worried. The blind one pretty much stays in her igloo unless she is hungry or thirty then will come out but then goes right back. The larger one will chatter while walking to her. She has gone in the igloo to what seems like start a fight. I don't want to keep them separated forever but I also cant really afford to get a fourth pig to keep the bind one company. I also don't really have the heart to either give away the blind one or the one causing the problem.

So is there anything I can do to help them get along again?

bpatters
11-15-14, 06:46 pm
Are you sure she hasn't been blind all along? Pigs don't "magically" become blind without some cause, unless they're born that way.

See http://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html for how to introduce them. You'll have to treat the introductions as if they've never seen each other. Also, what size is the cage, and how old are the pigs?

TawniRae
11-15-14, 07:58 pm
Yeah she wasn't born blind. And I say magically because I'm still not sure what it was. I kinda zoned out as soon as I heard that she would be fine and so would the others and that I just had to give them the meds that the vet gave me. I already lost a pig this year to something unrelated and I did want to have to make the decision to put down another one.

I have two cages connected. Each of them are 47 x 24 x 14 inches. so double that and thats how much room they have. well excluding doubling the height. They have plenty of room. Honestly they have more room than I do in my room it seems. If I added a third cage it would be the size of a queen bed. As for their age I got Pigwigeon (the chattering pig) about 2 years ago, Sirius (the blind one) 40 weeks ago and Minerva 23-25 weeks ago. And I got all of them from my local Petsmart so I'm unsure of their actual age but they were all pretty small when I got them. When I added Minerva to the cage with Sirius it was all fine. I could tell the Sirius was happy to have a friend. But apparently something happened between Pig and Sirius that I missed to make Pig chatter at her.