Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada new from montreal

leony7

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone,

I'm Leony from Montreal. I just had my first guenea pig, Léonie. She is a satine american. nice to meet you:)

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
First of all, I'd like to say Welcome!
Now I have a few questions:
Did you get Leonie from a shelter or a petshop?
Does she have a friend, or are you planning on getting her one?
What type of cage is she in? A C&C? And if so what size?
Also, post pictures of her soon!

You're going to love this site, it has a bunch of great information!

leony7

Cavy Slave
Hi fourbwabbys. I got Leonie from a breeder. She arrived 2 weeks ago. She is alone but I'll get her a friend in 2 weeks. My parents and I just built a cage with cubes. Guess where my inspiration is coming from? It is aproximately 30x36 inch I don't have picture of Leonie but it is just a question of time. Thanks cu

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
I would highly recommend getting the new pig from a rescue and not a breeder. You're just supporting the great overpopluation. As you will find that this forum is pro-rescue and don't support breeders and petshops. I'm sure once you look around the site a bit you will realize how rewarding adopting rather than buying really is. :)
Can't wait to see the pictures!

leony7

Cavy Slave
Hi fourwabbyw.

What a coincidence? I just had news from Léonie's Breeder. She has too move and quick. She offered me Leonie's mother Winona. Winona is a beautiful satin american. But the only thing that scares me, Winona is pregnent. Of course I would like to rescue her and bring back Leonie's mother. I'm just not prepared to have those babies. But I learn fast and I can commit to assure Winona a good Pregnency and assure to find a good family for each baby. The breeder in question is ready to give me help for that but she is in an emergency situation and can not keep all her cavies. She is very sad. Too complicated to explain. Should I adopt Winona? Do you think Winona and Leonie can live well together once again? Thanks Have a good week end

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
If you weren't available to take the pigs, would she bring them to a shelter? I guess if they were going to end up in a shelter anyway it would be ok, as long as she's not breeding anymore. If you take in Winona and she has her babies, you can always keep us posted here and we have many people on here who had dealt with accidental litters or a rescue pig they had had babies. I have had an accidental litter so any questions you have about the babies is going to be answered on this site. Chances are, if Winona and leonie have lived together before, they will be fine together.

leony7

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much for your help. I decided to adopt Winona and rescue her. I have to confirm that with her breeder. We are not sure if she is pregent but the chances are 95% :sad: Anyway I'm ready to live that wonderful experience and stay informed as much as possible about cavies' pregnency,:)

leony7

Cavy Slave
I would like to ask you more questions. It's about Leonie's mother adoption. They have been separated for 3 weeks. Winona should join us next week. Should I do a quarantine for Winona. How can I present her to Leony? Will they remember at each other even if they had been separated for a month? Sorry for all these questions but I think that is very important to know Thanks again and a great day.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
If Winona has had any contact with guinea pigs in the past 3 weeks, then she needs to be quarentined. You can put them together first for floor time, then clean out the cage really good before putting them in together. Any rumblestrutting, mounting, nipping is normal. Seperate them for a little while if there is any bloodshed. There is a chance that they will remember eachother, but I'm not sure how good a pig's longterm memory is. You can never ask too many questions. :) Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.