PDA

View Full Version : Sick Lethargic guinea pig!

Praska
11-08-14, 11:27 am
Hello!
My guinea pig is 1 year old, and she is normally very active and loud piggy.

Everything was normal until this afternoon!

She was loud and playful last night, ate 2 carrots, and my sister fed her in the morning, she was begging for food. She also gave her a carrot, since the dry food should arrive now.
But, at 1 pm, she became lethargic. Went to a corner of her cage, almost closed eyes, not really responsive - a wheek or two when I come to the room, but not the exited as normaly (she jumps, begs for food, runs around... etc).

Now I can pick her up without problem, as she stays in one place.

She didn't want to eat nor drink - I gave via syringe a little bit of antibiotic normally used for chickens (in my country it's the only antibiotic I can get for her), gave her a little bit of coal pill, and a little bit of vitamin C.

I moved her to a smaller cage with fleece blankets, and put her near the heating, gave her apple and a little bit carrot (ate them).
She pooped and urinated.

Her poop is normal, little orange (that's because of the carrots), no blood in her urine, no funny smell.

She eats less (well, she eats to much normally, she screams all the time for food, I am affraid maybe she ate too much yesterday!!), she doesn't drink (only by syringe).

Her eyes are almost closed, but nothing else then that - no runny nose, no caugh, no loud breathing.. just lethargic.

If anyone has any suggestions, please help!

In my country there is NO exotic vet, and the regular vet doesn't want to see her - in the matter of fact, he couldn't even help my cat, not my guinea pig.

bpatters
11-08-14, 04:35 pm
The food you're feeding her has WAY too much sugar in it, and may be causing the problems. Carrots and apples are too high in sugar for guinea pigs to get much of them. You need to concentrate on leafy green lettuces and bell pepper, with fruit being an occasional treat.

I also would not recommend giving her an antibiotic, particularly one prescribed for chickens. Guinea pigs cannot tolerate some antibiotics at all, and even those that are commonly prescribed for them can upset their digestive tracts to the point of causing weight loss, stasis, and/or bloat.

Guinea pigs can't eat too much. They MUST have food moving through their guts at all times, or you can wind with stasis and/or bloat. They need hay ALL the time, and several smaller feedings of vegetables throughout the day.

Does she act like she's in pain?

Praska
11-08-14, 05:09 pm
The food you're feeding her has WAY too much sugar in it, and may be causing the problems. Carrots and apples are too high in sugar for guinea pigs to get much of them. You need to concentrate on leafy green lettuces and bell pepper, with fruit being an occasional treat.

I also would not recommend giving her an antibiotic, particularly one prescribed for chickens. Guinea pigs cannot tolerate some antibiotics at all, and even those that are commonly prescribed for them can upset their digestive tracts to the point of causing weight loss, stasis, and/or bloat.

Guinea pigs can't eat too much. They MUST have food moving through their guts at all times, or you can wind with stasis and/or bloat. They need hay ALL the time, and several smaller feedings of vegetables throughout the day.

Does she act like she's in pain?

She seems bit better since I wrote the post.
Where I live, there is little you can buy for guinea pigs. There is no way to find a hay in the store, and to find one I have to go to some village and get hay with unknown source.
I asked 4 different vets here, the best ones, but simply, they can't help me, so I did what I could.

First of all, I gave her fruit because she refuses to drink water - this way she will stay hydrated (or at least I think so). She always seems sleepy after eating regular dry cavy food - and that's why I limited it - but now I gave her this - and she happily ate it. She did poop and did urinate.

Now I see her not moving much, basicly lying on her stomach, and seems like having difficulty moving her back legs, but when I touch and squeeze her, she doesn't scream at all. I guess if she felt any pain she would squeek?!

I thought she might have a blockage - but she did poop in my arms. She did urinate, and was wet for some time, so I guessed might be urinary problem? Now she is not wet for 3 hours, she does move, but her back is moving so bad..

Praska
11-08-14, 05:33 pm
Now I let her on the floor, she just wont move..
I her cage, she seems when she wants to move, she jumps with back legs, does not walk!!
She was perfectly fine this morning, and there is nothing in her cage to be injured from!
I don't know what else to do.
She ate good, I will try to give her water via syringe soon again...

bpatters
11-08-14, 05:46 pm
There's a possibility that it could be scurvy if you haven't been feeding her things high in vitamin C. GPs are like people, they can't manufacture their own C, so they have to eat it, either in the food they get or via a supplement. What you describe with her back legs, and the lethargy, sounds like it could be scurvy, although it could be other things.

It wouldn't hurt to give her a vitamin C supplement -- 100 mg. a day for a week, and if that's what it is, you should see improvement pretty quickly. Just don't put it in the water bottle -- syringe it to her.

You need to find a good source of hay or long strand grass -- that's what keeps their molars (and thus their incisors) ground down and their guts moving properly. I can promise you that you'll eventually have major dental problems if she doesn't get the hay or grass, and if you can't find a vet to treat a regular illness, you have no hope of finding on that can properly manage dental problems.

Praska
11-08-14, 06:29 pm
There's a possibility that it could be scurvy if you haven't been feeding her things high in vitamin C. GPs are like people, they can't manufacture their own C, so they have to eat it, either in the food they get or via a supplement. What you describe with her back legs, and the lethargy, sounds like it could be scurvy, although it could be other things.

It wouldn't hurt to give her a vitamin C supplement -- 100 mg. a day for a week, and if that's what it is, you should see improvement pretty quickly. Just don't put it in the water bottle -- syringe it to her.

You need to find a good source of hay or long strand grass -- that's what keeps their molars (and thus their incisors) ground down and their guts moving properly. I can promise you that you'll eventually have major dental problems if she doesn't get the hay or grass, and if you can't find a vet to treat a regular illness, you have no hope of finding on that can properly manage dental problems.

I give her regular grass that grows in my yard - we do not put any chemicals on it - and I'm not sure about the vitamin C - even though she eats lettuce (every other day few leafs), carrots almost everyday, tomatoes (regular, just without seeds - the vet told me she could have a problem with this, since the vegs and fruits are not organic, and he thinks it might be something with the chemicals on them).. Should I give her normal vit C (for humans)?
I put 1 quarter of the pill in water, and then I use syringe to put it in her mouth. She wont drink all of it, but I know she drinks some, since she swallows and don't get too wet.

I will try this, don't know what else to do - I put her out of her cage (I use shredded woods so poop can easely be missed under it) and use a fleece blanket so I can see when she poops or urinates. I know this is even more stressful for her. She ate good, that makes me feel optimistic.

I lost one guinea pig before due to.. I don't know what. Seen all possible doctors, they didn't even want to help her - told me she will die if they give her injection?

bpatters
11-08-14, 06:37 pm
Make sure she gets 100 mg of vitamin C per day for the next few days. It may not help, but it won't hurt. A plain vitamin C tablet for humans is fine, or if you can find a chewable vitamin C tablet (made for children), she may just eat it on her on. No human multivitamins -- those are not good for her. But Vita-Drops Oasis has a multi-vitamin suitable for guinea pigs, you might be able to order it online.

You have to get the food and the liquid and the vitamin C into her, whether she wants it or not, whether she likes it or not. Otherwise, you might as well just give up. Hand-feed her if you have to, but keep feeding her. See http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html for information on how to do it.

No food in your list has more than a very small amount of vitamin C in it. See http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/22156-READ-ME-Cavy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List for what she can eat and how often. She needs at least a cup of fresh vegetable per day, but given the lack of vitamins she's getting, more than that would be appropriate.

Praska
11-08-14, 06:55 pm
How to prepare liquid food? So I can use syringe to feed her? I mean, for now she's eating, she ate good this evening, just in case she starts refusing. I will give her vit. C. A little bit at a time, she gets so scared when I put syringe in her mouth :(
God, she's so small, all the time I am affraid I might hurt her :(

Praska
11-08-14, 08:08 pm
Update> she is not able to move properly at all... seems like even her front legs are not able to lift her body :(
Her eyes are brighter then they were for the whole day (they were half shut the biggest part of the day) but her body is so weak.
She does eat lying next to her food, well, quite slow, but she does eat. I syringe give her water with vitamin C.
In the morning I will take her to the only vet that finally accepted to see her, hopefully he will give her something to streighten her feet.

She is totally aware of my presence, lifts head up when I come in the room, but no happy wheeks at all :(. She was able to clean herself today, but now I don't think she is able to :(

She does poop small poops, not normal ones.

bpatters
11-08-14, 08:15 pm
How much vitamin C did you get in her?

Praska
11-08-14, 08:52 pm
How much vitamin C did you get in her?

I smashed half a pill of 500gr in some water, and syringe give her half of the liquid.
She fighted against (biting the syringe) so some of it didn't reach her stomach.

bpatters
11-08-14, 09:33 pm
500 grains, or 500 grams?

Praska
11-08-14, 09:35 pm
She eats good. Pushes herself toward the food.
I put her dry food on the fleece as lifting her head up to the bowls seems to hard now.
Once I put it on the fleece, she started eating.. well that brings courage.
She also poops... a lot! That's a good sign I guess.

I will give her the last syringe of vit c water, and hopefully i'll get some sleep. it's 5 am over here. i will give her some water in 2 hours...

Praska
11-08-14, 09:38 pm
Grams.
So it's 250 grams in the water.
Maybe too much of vit c?
Since I can't put all of it in her, I tried to make the water more concentrated so what I succeed to put inside, is more efficient.

I guess she is also tired. She normaly sleeps a lot, today she was checked all the time so couldn't really nap.

barbaramudge
11-08-14, 09:42 pm
I'm no help but to say...have a nice rest and we'll be crossing our fingers for luck.

Praska
11-09-14, 12:06 pm
I'm no help but to say...have a nice rest and we'll be crossing our fingers for luck.

Finally a vet accepted to see her. He is a dig/cat vet.
He said she is very light (only 300grams) which is weird sice she eats literally all the time - when I'm not at home my family makes sure she has food all the time. She did lose weight, but only 300 grams?

He gave her 2 shots, said its vitamin and antibiotic and she goes tommorow for another dose. She eats her dry food well and took little carrot (her favorite) and some apple. Tommorow I have to find hay normally used for farm animals.

I feel so bad watching my piggy unable to move... Knowing I can't help her more :(

bpatters
11-09-14, 12:31 pm
I hope that helps her. Keep giving her the vitamin C, and keep us posted on how she's doing.

Praska
11-09-14, 01:02 pm
I hope that helps her. Keep giving her the vitamin C, and keep us posted on how she's doing.

Should I give her more vit C after the vit shot? Won't harm her?

bpatters
11-09-14, 01:14 pm
No, it won't hurt her.

Praska
11-09-14, 05:47 pm
No, it won't hurt her.

Thank you.
I gave her cucumber and she's my ol' good piglet.
Just that she lies on her left side...

I'm giving her vit C after she finishes, won't interrupt her while eating, and well, cucumber has 90% water, so it's good for staying hidrated, since she's unable to drink on her own.

Praska
11-09-14, 07:23 pm
Should I also try some calcium?

Praska
11-09-14, 07:44 pm
She literally just .. jumped. And somehow manages to move. But, now, I KNOW she can lift her head up (she lifts it to reach the syringe and food) she walks somehow funny. Like she pushes with back legs but nose is to the ground?
After I saw her moving (must add she didn't moved a mm since yesterday evening) I put her cauliflowers just 5 cm from her nose. And somehow she crawled to get it!!
I am proud of her, is it improvement? Or I am just imagining it?
She managed to go from the one side of her cage to the other (where is her favorite corner, she always sleeps there!)

bpatters
11-09-14, 08:45 pm
No, I wouldn't give her calcium, not at this point. If she has an infection, the vet's treatment may help. If she has scurvy, the vitamin C will help. You would give her calcium as a long-term treatment to strengthen bones/teeth, but she would also need vitamin D to be able to metabolize it. Let's see if we can get her on her feet, then you can get an x-ray to see if she needs it.

Don't overdo the cucumber. It may hydrate her, but it can also cause a lot of gas. But keep on with the vitamin C -- 100 mg a day for a week.