Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Ovarian Cysts Ovarian Cysts, Kidney Cysts, and Enlarged Adrenal Gland

Piggy Mum

Cavy Slave
My four-year-old sow Crackle had an ultrasound the other day, and it turns out that she has small ovarian cysts, multiple cysts on her kidneys, and an enlarged right adrenal gland. Crackle has a history of bloat, and has cataracts. She was on Voltaren eyedrops for a long time, but is no longer on them because my vet (not the one who prescribed the Voltaren - I changed vets because my current vet has over 30 years of experience with exotics) was concerned about internal problems due to Voltaren. Crackle also passed a large stone last month.

We're waiting for the results of Crackle's blood test so that my vet will know whether or not Crackle is a good spay candidate. The blood test may help to determine if the kidney cysts and enlarged adrenal gland are the results of ovarian cysts.

Does anyone have any experience with kidney cysts and an enlarged adrenal gland? Also, does this sound like Cushings disease? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, as this news has been really difficult.

Thank you.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd suggest posting this over at Guinea Lynx as well. I know there's at least one pig over there with adrenal problems, and someone else may be able to weigh in on it.

Piggy Mum

Cavy Slave
I'd suggest posting this over at Guinea Lynx as well. I know there's at least one pig over there with adrenal problems, and someone else may be able to weigh in on it.
Thank you. I'll definitely sign up on Guinea Lynx too.

Crackle has a few other health threads on this forum, but they're from a long time ago. Would putting them all together in one medical thread give a better perspective?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes. They may be too old for you to edit, but if you can find them and give me the links, I'll merge them together into one.

Piggy Mum

Cavy Slave
Yes. They may be too old for you to edit, but if you can find them and give me the links, I'll merge them together into one.
I've been in contact with my vet, who has been in contact with exotics experts, internal medicine experts, and ultrasound imaging experts on her small mammal veterinary forum. The consensus so far is that Crackle should be spayed. Her bloodwork results are good as well. It's looking a lot more hopeful now.

I'd better not try to merge my previous threads because I used to write way too much in my posts. Here's a brief medical history: Crackle has a tendency to bloat; she had an ear cyst removed last year and came through the surgery very well; she has been losing hair, although her daughter Poofters barbers her and Crackle likes it, so we weren't sure about the cause; the ovarian cysts are small and weren't palpable until the ultrasound on Tuesday; Crackle has had cataracts since the summer of last year; we were giving Crackle probiotics for her digestion, although our vet was sceptical about that; Crackle started getting digestion issues from the probiotics, so we discontinued it; and then last month Crackle had a stone flushed out. She'd been losing weight due to digestion problems, which we found out were from the probiotics. For awhile, though, we'd been giving Crackle extra pellets so she'd put on weight, so that may have led to the stone.

Crackle's daughter Poofters had ovarian cysts that were numerous and had developed rapidly. She was successfully spayed in January of 2014. Poofters also had a mastectomy in May because she'd developed a mammary tumor. The biopsy revealed that it was made of fat.

I've joined the Guinea Lynx forum, and I've found a few interesting threads, one of which I sent to my vet.

That's more succinct than sending those very wordy threads!

Thank you for suggesting that I go on Guinea Lynx.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.