PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Philadelphia

Melissa Negron
11-06-14, 10:14 am
I my name is Melissa and I am a proud Mommy of two piggies! Cheesecake who is 8 months and Butterscotch who is 7 months. This was my first time having piggies and I am in love with them ! I just built a c&c cage for the 1st time and they are loving it. I have had my piggies since they where 3 months old.

They have been with me since June 2014, a few months now. Cheesecake was here first and then I got Butterscotch a few months later. I was told in the pet store that Butterscotch was a female. I now believe they where not right and these two have lived in the same cage all this time. :sad: I also believe that Cheesecake maybe going to have babies too, but I have no idea how far along she is. Or what to do for her so she has healthily babies. I have separated them by dividing the cage with a wall. What else should I be doing?

koalamissy
11-06-14, 10:57 am
Hi Melissa, welcome to the forum. My name is Michele and I'm still trying to learn as much as I can before I get my pigs early next year. There are plenty of really knowledgeable people here who can answer your questions. There is also a ton of information already on the boards, have fun investigating and reading up on things. We need to see pigtures of Cheesecake and Butterscotch!!! Cute names, by the way.

ThePigAlchemist
11-06-14, 11:03 am
Welcome! I'm not too experienced in sexing, but those both look female to me. Of course, they could have been kept in missexed housing at the store, so one (or both) of them could still be pregnant. I'd definitely wait for others' opinions too, though.

bpatters
11-06-14, 11:14 am
If they're the same sex, they can't be pregnant from their time in the store -- too long ago. They both look female to me, too, although the top one may be male, but compare against the pictures at www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm. The definitive test of a male is whether or not you can extrude a penis.

If you think one is pregnant, read http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/103012-How-can-I-know-if-my-guinea-pig-is-pregnant-And-how-far-along-is-she. What makes you think she's pregnant?

Melissa Negron
11-06-14, 06:44 pm
Hi Melissa, welcome to the forum. My name is Michele and I'm still trying to learn as much as I can before I get my pigs early next year. There are plenty of really knowledgeable people here who can answer your questions. There is also a ton of information already on the boards, have fun investigating and reading up on things. We need to see pictures of Cheesecake and Butterscotch!!! Cute names, by the way.

Here is a photo of my piggies. I think Cheesecake is pregnant because she has gotten so cubby! As well as seeing movement in the belly. I guess we will see.

bpatters
11-06-14, 07:14 pm
Well, if you think one is male and one is female, you need to separate them immediately. The female can get pregnant again within minutes after giving birth, and back-to-back pregnancies are VERY hard on the sow and the second litter of pups. Even if she has them prematurely, she'll immediately be in heat. So you need to get the male safely away from her ASAP.

Melissa Negron
11-06-14, 08:52 pm
Well, if you think one is male and one is female, you need to separate them immediately. The female can get pregnant again within minutes after giving birth, and back-to-back pregnancies are VERY hard on the sow and the second litter of pups. Even if she has them prematurely, she'll immediately be in heat. So you need to get the male safely away from her ASAP.

I am not sure if she is a he but I separated them just to be safe.

Rywen
11-06-14, 09:36 pm
Hello and welcome to the forum!