Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size 3x3 instead of 2x4?

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
I'm building a C&C for two guineas. A 2x4 cage wouldn't work too well, so could I do a 3x3 instead? Quick responses appreciated!

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Yes, @Kenna18155, that would be totally acceptable.:)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Not only is it ok, it's bigger.

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
Whew, great! I didn't know if piggies needed a certain length to run laps or if they'd be okay with less length and more width. Thank you so much! I'll upload some pics when it's built :)

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
I'm confused on how i cut the coroplast. How do I do the corner flap-thingies?

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
3x3 is awesome! The width will do so much of how well they all get along and give you so much more room for toys!

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
I'm going to post my finished cage pics and some other stuff on the Cages forum!

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
Actually, I'll just post it here :)

finished cage:
image.jpg

Scarlet and and her pups enjoying breakfast
image.jpg

more pics soon!

i learned a lot whil building this cage.

1) Coroplast is demonspawn.
2) Measure right the first time. PLEASE.
3) Connectors can be brutal.
4) Zip ties are nice.
5) Tape is your friend. Love tape. Be good to tape.
6) Next time, just get a box cutter to score the coroplast. (My hannnnds :()
7) Guinea pigs are cute and fluffy and adorable and so worth it :)

of course, the cage I have built now is just the base. Once I get some more Coro, I hope to make a loft area. I'm also looking for tutorials on making toys, accessories, etc to deck out the place. I'll be fitting the fleece to the inch later as well.

so... What do you think?

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
Your cage looks great!! :D

1) Agree with completely!
2) Or re measure 5 more times and triple check :)
3) Yes!! They and the demonspawn coroplast will take over the world!
4) Zip ties are like long lost friends. You don't appreciate them when you first see them, but then you need them, and they are the most awesome thing in the world.
5) Tape is an excellent friend. Right up there with the zip ties :)
6) How on earth did you manage to cut it without a box cutter?? Did you just use scissors? :eek:hmy:
7) Their adorable little faces makes you forget about the intense labor of cage building (amplified when you aren't using proper tools at least)

Be sure to check out the cage accessories and cage bunk bed/loft galleries on the site for some awesome ideas! For toys, tubes/tunnels are good choices, as are anything they can chew. Mine like toys with bells in them. Fleece forests are also very loved by piggies.

I bet they LOVE all that new space! Were they pop corning everywhere?

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
I didn't have too much trouble cutting zip ties. That reminds me, I should add a few more when I get home for some added structure. The Coro is still too big and kind of bursting at the seams... Not to mention it was too long and not wide enough, so I had to cut off length and add it to the side multiple times, so it's a really cruddy job in general, but I don't think Scarlet minds. I'm going to work on accessories with some extra fleece I have and I'll post pictures when it's all done :)

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
Haven't seen them popcorn yet, but I crashed into bed right after I finished the cage (11:30 at night!) Yes, I used scissors for the Coro. I do NOT recommend xD. I have one toy shipping that should arrive today, and some fleece to make forests and/or a hammock :D

Portal_Corgi

Cavy Slave
Thanks for asking this, Kenna18155 and thanks for the pics! I've been wondering the same thing myself since the area I'm going to put my upgraded cage is more of a square than a rectangle. I was worried my piggies wouldn't have enough length to run laps too, but it looks like they will be fine.

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
It looks awesome!!!

Yes haha we say measure twice, cut once. Though really it's like measure ten times, cut once. :p

You... cut it with scissors??? OMG YOUR HAND MUST BE DEAD AND SWOLLEN. I take my hat off to you. Yes. Box cutter or x-acto knife. (As you guessed box cutter is best though.)

Can't wait to see more pics! :)

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
Cage = decorated! Sorry for the bad quality pics, it's nighttime.

image.jpg

I also made a little hay dish out of leftover coroplast, because their current hay manger was terrible and just spilled everywhere.

image.jpg

The he little ones were sooooo adorable while I made the fleece forest. I used leftovers from their fleece bedding, and after I tied on two strips I sat back to observe them. Each tried eating it, hiding behind it, and poking it with their face before running around and popcorning in sheer glee. Halfway through the making, they conquered their fear of me and (while I was INSIDE THE CAGE) started running around on my feet. When I was almost done, the little black one bravely walks up and licks my foot. I like to think he was thanking me. :)

Currently, they're alternating between running around excitedly and hiding in the forest. I've never seen anything so happy about a few strips of fleece!

Portal_Corgi

Cavy Slave
I LOVE your fleece pattern! I've been wanting to make a fleece forest for a while, but I'm afraid my piggy would try to eat first and ask questions later like he does with everything else. :p

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I say you should give it a try. My piggies love it soooo much and still haven't stopped playing in it. And it was so easy to make, too! If you do decide to make one, let me know if your cavy likes it :)

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
Aaaaand a shot of four piggies excited over a new load of fresh grass

image.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.