Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

pig seems confused/scared about ramp

GAcavies

Cavy Slave
hey there,
I have two young boys (4mths old, brothers). I put a ramp in their C&C cage about 2 months ago. Only one of the guys seems to use it. To encourage them to use it more, I placed a food bowl and some more toys up there --- what a mess! Now Hutch will go up and eat and pop with Starsky looking at him and crying from the bottom! Starsky attempts to get up there but approaches the ramp from the side and just can't seem to figure it out. I've even placed him halfway and he's fine from there and he can get down easily. I just don't understand what the problem is. Part of me wonders if it is a dominance issue between them, but other than sit at the entrance, I see no other signs from Hutch that he is threatening Starsky. It really just seems like he's confused as to how to start out..... any ideas for teaching him, etc?
thanks so much!

Cavykid14

Cavy Slave
Hm... you should clean it out and then put the loft in a different area so there is no scent if you think its a dominance issue. Other than that just don't put any food what so ever and let the other pig figure it out. But be sure to watch him and check on him ever hour when you do that so he doesn't die of hunger because of your fault. I hope he figures it out though; Mine did.

GAcavies

Cavy Slave
great idea about getting rid of the scent. i will try that if things don't improve. Yes, I gave Starsky a dish of pellets and hay for the bottom level. I tried to entice him upstairs by just placing the carrots (which he goes nuts for) in the loft. Hopefully he will learn soon....... Thanks!

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Put Starsky on the top level so that he has to go down the ramp. Trail veggies all the way up the ramp into the loft to encourage him. Put loads of hay in the loft near the top of the ramp - few pigs can resist the temptation of lots of lovely fresh hay!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I'm not so sure it's a dominance issue. Depending on what type of ramp you have, the other pig could actually be scared or leary of it. I am going through this with the two newest girls. They seem to be leary of the ramp and will go down the ramps when I place them upstairs but won't go up them on their own. I had to put food downstairs in order to make sure that Oats and Finna eat.

pennick

Cavy Slave
I don't know what kind of ramp you have. Does the bottom of the ramp touch the floor or is it raised a few inches off the floor where the piggy has to reach it to get up on?

Can you show us a picture?

aqh88

Cavy Slave
If the ramp is too steep or too narrow some guinea pigs won't use them unless you set them part way on the ramp. My girls would run up and down their ramp in the cage but when we took the ramp and set it from the floor to the cage they wouldn't use it. It was only 4" higher and therefore slightly steeper but they refused to go down it. They'd go up if you set them on it but otherwise they wouldn't use it unless it was the only option.

GAcavies

Cavy Slave
thanks so much for all the feedback! The ramp is a little steep, which I plan on fixing when i can make them some bigger digs (right now, just have a 2x3). But, good news! Starsky finally was enticed enough by a big wonderful carrot at the top. (There is no ledge he has to step up to, just a little steepness.) Anyway, I looked over this morning to find him up on top like king of the rock! He was so excited, popping and twisting everywhere! I can try and get some pictures up soon. The cage is a little small, esp. when they get bigger (still young). I definitely need to get creative with my space (very tiny apt). My roommate will only allow me to take up so much room in the living room! Thanks again.

laura220

Cavy Slave
Does it have sides? Starsky probably doesn't understand how or where it starts so just putting sides right at the beginning might help.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Oats has finally ventured up the ramps and went all the way to the 3rd story hayloft last night. Now if I can just get Finna to use the ramps, I will be in business.

GAcavies

Cavy Slave
Ly&Pigs said:
Oats has finally ventured up the ramps and went all the way to the 3rd story hayloft last night. Now if I can just get Finna to use the ramps, I will be in business.

great! It seems some of them just need a little time, huh?? yay, for happy piggies!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.