PDA

View Full Version : Injury Bottom lip

hatley1717
10-24-14, 04:16 pm

Just tried to make a new thread but ended up posting on my other one by mistake...feel free to combine...sorry....

Came home from work and found Molly's lip like this. Husband said her and Annabelle were arguing a little more than useual, but no painful wheeks. Did Annabelle bite her? Was she excessively chewing on her cardboard hidey and made it raw? No smell or oozing just looks like a white scab (like when a scab gets wet). How do I treat it? Annabelle keeps trying to nibble it too and hurts Molly....should I separate?

hatley1717
10-24-14, 04:19 pm
Very swollen too....she got a "fat lip" :(

bpatters
10-24-14, 04:22 pm
It's really not very clear. Can you get a better picture? It looks vaguely like cheilitis, but that doesn't usually swell, and I can't really tell because the picture is blurry.

hatley1717
10-24-14, 05:10 pm
I'll try...let me see what I can do

hatley1717
10-24-14, 05:27 pm

The best I can do bpatters

bpatters
10-24-14, 05:39 pm
Hmm. It doesn't look like exactly like a bite to me, because it's got those little brown spots on the lip on the right of the picture. THAT looks like cheilitis. But the swelling, and the scab hanging down, look like an injury. I guess it's possible she's got both. But it doesn't seem likely to me.

I think I'd gently try to clean it with warm water and keep a close eye on it. If the spots on the right get bigger, or start to spread, then read http://www.guinealynx.info/cheilitis.html for suggestions on how to treat it. If it begins to look infected (red, exuding pus, has a bad odor, swelling gets worse, etc.), then see a vet.

Maybe foggycreekcavy or lissie will see this and weigh in on it.

hatley1717
10-24-14, 05:41 pm
Thank you!!! Molly is our princess and I'm so worried!!! She's had a rough few weeks with her bad poops (which are fine now) and now this....poor baby....but mama's gonna do everything I can!!!!

hatley1717
10-24-14, 05:42 pm
Oh....and since Annabelle is trying to "pick" at it should I separate them til she's better?

bpatters
10-24-14, 05:53 pm
Can you just divide the cage without separating them? I'm not a big fan of separating pigs unless it's absolutely necessary.

hatley1717
10-24-14, 05:53 pm
I read the link bpatters and I don't see how it can be bacterial....I change the fleece and uhaul every three days and spot clean with a vaccum 3-4 times a day....I wash their bowl and water bottle daily too

hatley1717
10-24-14, 05:55 pm
Can you just divide the cage without separating them? I'm not a big fan of separating pigs unless it's absolutely necessary.

I can...I just wasn't sure if this could be contagious/infectious

bpatters
10-24-14, 06:12 pm
That doesn't make any difference with cheilitis. It doesn't come from a dirty environment. The pig could have had the organism for a while, and is just now having an outbreak.

But that may not be what it is. It just doesn't look like a plain bite wound to me, and I don't know what else it could be.

hatley1717
10-24-14, 08:00 pm
Ok that makes sense....last night I snuggled them for our typical 2hr snuggle/movie time...I eat popcorn and they have some celery and carrots....and Molly was fine, her lips were normal. I woke up this morning and vacuumed their cage before work (I didn't pay much attention to anything else). Then when I got home her lip was like that. I made that thread at work about Annabelle possibly being a bully, and then when I got home I noticed her lip and my hubby said they were arguing a little more than useual....that's why I thought it could've been a bite. I cleaned it like you said and I'll continue for a couple days and see how it's doing. I'm really worried about her.

bpatters
10-24-14, 08:22 pm
When you clean it, do those brown spots that were on the right side disappear?

hatley1717
10-24-14, 08:32 pm
When you clean it, do those brown spots that were on the right side disappear?

Do you mean Molly's right or the right of the picture?
After I cleaned it (I did what I could...she grabbed the paper towel and started doing tug of war cuz she was irritated with me haha) the "wounds" lightened in color but seem very rough like a scab.

hatley1717
10-24-14, 08:38 pm
Here's what it looks like now69826698276982869829

hatley1717
10-24-14, 08:39 pm
It's so swollen though it makes her lip hang down and you can always see her teeth. But it's the same as far as how swollen it is...that hasn't changed...but the "scabs" seem to go from a yellow/brown/white back to her normal lip color...darker in some areas but not brown/yellow/white anymore.

bpatters
10-24-14, 08:52 pm
The ones on her left, on the right of the picture.

lissie
10-24-14, 09:11 pm
I also think it looks like cheilitis. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

hatley1717
10-24-14, 09:15 pm
They didn't disappear but got a little lighter in color

YinYangPiggies
10-24-14, 09:28 pm
That poor baby!! I hope she can eat ok, if not you may need to supplement.

hatley1717
10-24-14, 09:42 pm
She eats just fine....typical pig as far as that goes!!! She still drinks great too...but I'm still worried sick!!!!

bpatters
10-24-14, 09:49 pm
I think you should take her to the vet to be checked for cheilitis. They should have a safe ointment that you could use on the lesion that won't upset the pig's digestive tract.

hatley1717
10-24-14, 10:18 pm
When Molly was having her poop issue I looked around for a exotic vet in my area and didn't find any. I even tried guinea pig zone. I live in Vero Beach, FL and I've called around and everything

bpatters
10-25-14, 07:27 am
Live Oak Animal Hospital treats some exotics -- you could call about guinea pigs. Southside Veterinary Hospital says they treat exotics, as does Pet Medical Center. Critter Haven is an exotic animal rescue, but in Florida, that may run more to reptiles than pocket pets.

I have no knowledge of any of those places, just that their websites say they treat exotics.

hatley1717
10-25-14, 07:30 am
Thank you very much

foggycreekcavy
10-25-14, 09:42 am
I think that antibiotics may help.

hatley1717
10-27-14, 10:09 am
Came back from the vet....and it's not cheilitis. yaaayyy!!!!! Its not swollen anymore either, just scabbed up. The vet thinks it was just rubbed raw by excessive chewing on cardboard hidey. gave antibiotics to prevent infection though. and i took out hidey.

Rywen
10-27-14, 06:55 pm
I'm glad it's good news! You'll definitely want to give a probiotic with the antibiotic, especially with the former poop issues. I use Benebac paste but you can also buy a plain acidophilus tablet for people, crush it and sprinkle some on her lettuce or pellets.

hatley1717
10-27-14, 07:28 pm
Thank you Rywen I'm so happy for her...she's had a rough few weeks poor baby. I will deff use your advice on the probiotic!!!! I got the human tablets during her last issue and the bottle was buy one get one so I'm stocked up on that!!! And thanks to bpatters I know how much to give. I just want to say how grateful I am for this forum and all the people on it!!!! Truly the best thing ever for me and my pigs!!!!