PDA

View Full Version : Teeth HELP!

SevenLilPiggies
10-23-14, 03:00 pm
Hello all, a question..... My piggie Rascal had some dental issues and recently had to have a large abscess on his left cheek removed along with the extraction of 2 molars..... has anyone ever gone through this? If so how long is the recovery time ie: before he eats solids on his own.. I am still feeding him by syringe and offering finely chopped food (which he usually will not eat). I am blending everything needed along with giving critical care! This has been such a long journey since it started I'm so mentally exhausted and worried! He is on meds, peeing and pooping fine, however still favors the left side! Any info/advice would GREATLY be appreciated!!! Ty all Michelle & Rascal

bpatters
10-23-14, 03:07 pm
I'm sorry your pig is having problems. Dental issues are hard to deal with, especially something as drastic as this.

My first suggestion is that you cut his food into long slivers, like matchsticks, rather than chopping it. If he can manipulate the food back to the side where he still has functioning molars, he may be able to eat on his own. You can encourage him in this by inserting the food into his mouth, back toward his jaw. If he realizes he can eat that way, he may be more willing to try to do so on his own. You can also do that with hay.

Second, how long has it been since he had the surgery? And which teeth did they remove? Two adjacent, or one top and one bottom? Which teeth?

What meds is he on, and what dosage (how much, how often, and how many mg per ml)?

SevenLilPiggies
10-24-14, 10:01 am
I'm sorry your pig is having problems. Dental issues are hard to deal with, especially something as drastic as this.

My first suggestion is that you cut his food into long slivers, like matchsticks, rather than chopping it. If he can manipulate the food back to the side where he still has functioning molars, he may be able to eat on his own. You can encourage him in this by inserting the food into his mouth, back toward his jaw. If he realizes he can eat that way, he may be more willing to try to do so on his own. You can also do that with hay.

Second, how long has it been since he had the surgery? And which teeth did they remove? Two adjacent, or one top and one bottom? Which teeth?

What meds is he on, and what dosage (how much, how often, and how many mg per ml)?

bpatters,
I have cut some carrots and celery like u had said he was not interested.... The meds he is on now are...
TMS suspension .25ml 1x daily
Baytril .25ml 2x daily
(he has been on these prior to the surgery and did well)
I am now weening him off of the Tramadol .35ml every 24hrs

The surgery was done on the left upper 2 molars removed were next to each other along with the abscess being on the same side (left cheek).
The surgery was done last Tuesday (also all teeth trimmed so we don't worry about overgrowth during recovery).

Am I just a worried mama? Am I expecting him to eat on his own too soon? Thank you for responding! I have never been through anything like this with any animal I have owned! Please don't take offense... I love all of my piggies but, me and Rascal have such a bond it's unreal! Him and his brother were my first piggies since I was a child he is only 18months old!
Thank you for any advice u can give!

bpatters
10-24-14, 03:51 pm
I don't really know how long it will take. Many pigs don't survive having two teeth pulled plus an abscess.

I'd just keep syringe feeding him, plus offering him his favorite foods by hand (cut in the long strips). Do weigh him daily so you'll know whether he's maintaining his weight. If he's not, you'll have to take him back to the vet.

foggycreekcavy
10-25-14, 10:39 am
I worry that his bottom molars won't have anything to grind against, and will grow long enough to entrap his tongue. Did the vet have a plan for that?

SevenLilPiggies
10-27-14, 02:23 pm
foggy.....
They lined up the teeth and he still has molars that hit the bottom to keep them trim.. he is now eating on his own! Food is still semi-soft but he is finally eating his fruits, greens, foraging in his hay and pellets!

SevenLilPiggies
12-08-14, 06:27 am
It has taken me some time to get back on and say thank you to all who helped with giving their personal advice unfortunately Rascals journey ended last month he crossed the rainbow bridge it was a decision I had to make during his last surgery unfortunately he wound up having a cancerous tumor I could not keep him going for my own selfish reasons and for that he was euthanized it was the best decision Rascal was unable to close his jaw anymore and we were 99% sure he would never eat on his own again. He has been cremated and will forever be with me and in my heart! We had a very special bond in for that I will never be the same after the death of Rascal. He was my heart and soul and for that I think him for all of the days he cheered me up when I was down I love you buddy will never forget you!

janinehunt
12-08-14, 08:11 am
I am so sorry about your beloved Rascal. He is at peace now, and I hope you will be feeling better soon, knowing you did all you could for him, and acted in his best interests.

foggycreekcavy
12-08-14, 10:18 am
I'm sorry. I wish more guinea pigs would survive these dental issues.