Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

ramp ideas

vanillabean

Cavy Slave
I have added a second level to my c&c cage and I am looking for ideas for ramp construction. The ramp that I have there right now seems a little steep for my or the piggies liking. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas from experience to change the ramp so the steepness is decreased. I cannot extend the length of the ramp due to the lack of space on the opposite side where it comes down.
Thanks

Fluff_n_roll

Cavy Slave
My Ramp is made out of the cage material! it's made out of 2 cubes and i just bent them around a pain cn until i though they were bent enough not to much though. Then i zip tied them together with three zip ties so it's strong enough. To cover it i just bought a cheap rug and ut it to fit the cubes so they would have traction and walla your ramp.
You can see the rug on the cubes.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4032&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1
I this one if you look at the bar under the rug you can kinda tell were the zip ties are and well the cubes.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/phot...0&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1
-Merrit

enchantingcavy

Cavy Slave
Hi there,

I've only just made my first two storey c&c cage....I was having the same problem as you...it is 3 grids long and the ramp would've been to steep.

What I did was bring one ramp down halfway then do a flat square area then the ramp continues in a different direction frmo that halfway point. So basically it dosnt a right angle turn at the flat part..I'll try get a pic...

So that the ramp was sturdy I just used cable ties to attach it to the side grids and to attach the pieces together. I used 3mm coflute but doubled it over so its about 6mm thick as otherwise it'd bend and not be sturdy enough...

*~jess~*

vanillabean

Cavy Slave
Both of those sound like awesome ideas. I think I will possibly combine what both of you said. Thinking that I will basically halve the ramp and bring the top part down to some sort of support like a hidey house top. Then I will turn the second half of the ramp from the support and run it to the bottom of the cage.
Opinions?

enchantingcavy

Cavy Slave
This is the cage with the ramp...there's no piggies in it yet and the ramp is gonna be fully covered in a fabric with a bit of grip so its easy to go up...but yeah this is just so ya know what i meant hehe....it's very sturdy dosnt budge the cable ties really hold it in place...and the double thickness

*~jess~*

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
You could make little shelves for them to jump onto instead of using ramps. Attach a grid halfway up a normal 14" grid and the pigs can jump up and down it instead of using a ramp. I have a combination of shelves and ramps in my cage and it works great, even with my youngest pig of 5 months.

GAcavies

Cavy Slave
I would definitely do some sort of split-level type thing. For materials, I got some extra wood from Home Depot (they have a thing of scraps in lumber, just ask around) for a dollar and then cut it to fit ---- super affordable. The wood is sturdy enough for my bouncy pigs! Then for traction, I used a staple gun to attach shelf liner (soft plastic mesh stuff), again, totally affordable! i attached the wood to the loft by drilling holes in the wood and using cable ties to attach it to the cubes (about 4 worked well). then i can move the ramp up and down for cleaning. super great. good luck!

Daddy Doodle

Cavy Slave
Hi, I just thought I'd throw another ramp option at you. My ramp is built so that it comes up through the second level. I really like this design because it free'd up so much space. It's made out of 2 grids bent in half and zipped together with a piece of carpet over top. I will say though that it was difficult to cut the upstairs grid and corro for the ramp to come up through. It does take away from the 2nd level's space but I'd rather have the extra space on the base of my cage. It even serves as a nice place for them to lay under. Brillo likes to relax underneath it after doing laps.

Good luck with your ramp.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
My ramps are leftover fake wood(plastic) deckboards bought from Menards. Then I rolled duct tape into loops(double sided tape would work) and stuck a strip cut from a polyester blanket onto it. Polyester blankets are those rough thin ones you can get from walmart for a few dollars a king size. They are the cheap thin version of fleece and usually have a picture printed on them. https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2092&password=&sort=1&cat=509&page=1 Every few months just pull off the blanket and tape down a new strip. It probably wouldn't be too hard to attach sides either since this stuff acts just like wood and can be nailed or screwed into.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
PVC pipe cut lengthwise making a half round shape is also good. Fleece can be attached with binder clips for traction. Drill small holes into one end to attach it to the grids. You can make them any length you need so that the pigs don't feel they are climbing something too steep.

zakfoxmom

Cavy Slave
What about this: Bend two grids, attach it with zip ties on both ends to some coroplast then put a piece of fleece over it. So layering would be 1) coroplast 2) grid and 3) fleece. That way the piggies could use the grid for traction but not get caught because the fleece is over it.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Whenever I get to a second level, my plans have drainage tubing drawn in for the "ramp". It's thin enough to cut windows in it for ventilation and light and you can punch little holes in the end to cable tie it to the second level. And since it's ridged on the inside, it's easy for little feet to grip like steps.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
What about this: Bend two grids, attach it with zip ties on both ends to some coroplast then put a piece of fleece over it. So layering would be 1) coroplast 2) grid and 3) fleece. That way the piggies could use the grid for traction but not get caught because the fleece is over it.
My son bent 2 grids for me to make one of those and I did that very thing with putting coro then fleece over it, but it ends up being a little steep and Finna was scared of it so now it's been turned into a futon and I am using two pvc pipe ramps. My pvc pipe ramps are almost 3 grids long so they aren't steep. Finna now runs up and down them all day long where before she wouldn't even go upstairs at all before.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.