Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stands Has Anyone Built Their Own Stand

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
Hi there,

The reality of me getting pigs is definitely happening within the next 4-6 months. I'm creating (on paper) my cage, flippers, cozies, hay, pellets, etc. etc. I don't have the best back to be able to bend down to do anything with a cage on the floor, and rather than purchase the stand here, I was thinking of using the grids that I purchased many years ago from Target (once again - for the stand only) and then putting a sheet of wood on top of that and underneath with the center grids for stability, before constructing the actual C&C cage that I'm going to get (2x6 with double wide upper deck) and was wondering if anyone else has made their own stand using grids. :cool:

As much as I would love to get the stand here, if I don't have to, I would rather use that money towards something else for the piggies.

Thanks

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure why you would add the sheet of wood? However, if you go to https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/ the very first picture they have (in the center where there are 4 pictures that keep changing) is a double c&c cage stand, made just from grids. If you miss the picture, rather than waiting for them to cycle through again, just click the first one.

I'm sure you could do that with your own grids. I have a single cage stand I made out of grids. To me, it looks much nicer having the cage off the ground. The extra storage is awesome too!

Annamals

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x4 (planning to expand to a 2x5 soon) with a stand made of grids that I built myself.

I didn't use any wood, but it's sturdy enough. And I agree with [MENTION=22050]dani_starr[/MENTION] , having all that space to store the piggie's things is really nice!

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
I guess I'm just paranoid and was thinking it would help with stability. I guess I'll try it first without and see how I feel about it that way. Thanks.

And yes, the extra added storage space is a great concept and one that I'll need. lol

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
A small tip that I've seen another member post regarding the connectors is to use zip ties and glue as well.

Connect the grids the connector, zip tie around the joints? to make it extra strong, then place a drop of glue (I think it was hot glue, but I'm not 100% sure) on it as well. It'll make it super sturdy.

DewOver

Cavy Slave
In the gallery there are loads of pics of cages built on stands made from grids. It's just as common as ones on the floor or on tables. Read the forum for many tips on building your cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.