PDA

View Full Version : Teeth Weight loss and trouble eating

PiggieFun
10-21-14, 12:46 am
Hopefully this is the right place...just here to ask for positive thoughts for little Skittle. She has lost a lot of weight, is only interested in eating her soft veggies, and has a lot of drool on her chin. We have seen the vet and have an appointment on Wednesday to put her under so the vet can take care of any teeth issues she might have. She is like a skeleton and I am very worried about her. I am syringe-feeding her critical care, but she isn't taking much of it. She is constantly asking for food, though, so I am hopeful she has a strong will to get through this. There are not many people who understand why anyone would spend much money on a guinea pig's health, but I know everyone here understands. So please send positive thoughts our way!

Princess_Piggie
10-21-14, 04:31 am
Is your vet experienced in rodent dentistry? Vets that aren't sometimes cause more damage than good by filing down the wrong teeth etc.

http://www.guinealynx.info/malocclusion.html have a read of that.

It's good that you're giving her the critical care, and even better that she's enthusiastic about eating it. How often are you feeding her it? If she's not eating her hay or pellets you need to feed her round the clock about every two hours to make sure she's always got something going through her system.

You can also try feeding her things like bell pepper in match stick slices, sometimes it's easier for pigs with dental issues to eat slivers as opposed to chunks etc.

Positive vibes going Skittles way!

kirt15
10-21-14, 04:55 am
I am thinking of you little skittle keep being strong. I am going through exactly the same thing with my boy he had his teeth done today so I am wishing you all the best of luck and sending you positive thoughts. They are totally worth the money and always brighten my day so I totally get it!

bpatters
10-21-14, 07:02 am
Do hand-feed her regularly. A guinea pig that's not eating is a guinea pig that's in danger of dying.

Also, make sure your vet x-rays her head (side and top views) before he does anything. Abscesses require an antibiotic as well as planing, and elongated roots require planing almost to the gum line.

Does she routinely have all the hay she can eat?

Lovely_Weekers
10-21-14, 08:26 am
Oh goodness, I can't imagine what you are going through, I will keep little Skittle in my thoughts and prayers. I hope she takes to critical care soon, and starts gaining weight back.

PiggieFun
10-21-14, 10:42 pm
Thanks everyone. I am taking it as a good sign that she is alert and constantly begging for food. She is still excited to get her veggies, and I even saw her eating some more of her hay. Oh, yes, her hay and pellets are available to her and her sister at all times. She is taking a little more of the critical care. I think she just needed to get used to it.

It is hard to find a vet that will look at a guinea pig let alone one that is an experienced rodent dentist. I do feel comfortable with the vet that Skittle will be seeing tomorrow. She was a second opinion for us and I liked her better.

kirt15, I saw your post about little Rodney. I hope he continues to do even better!

lovemyguineas27
10-23-14, 12:15 pm
@PiggieFun (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/member.php?u=26202), I went through almost an identical situation with my pig Bailee. I spent about $300 total on her vet visits, including surgery, an overnight stay, antibiotics, and painkillers. Everyone thought I was insane, so I understand what you're going through! Here are a couple things I remember from her post-op time:

1. antibiotics + painkillers - hopefully your vet will give you these anyway but if not, definitely ask! My vet said the painkiller was to be used "as needed," but I didn't trust myself to accurately determine Bailee's pain level so I just gave it to her at the recommended intervals.

2. I fed her a mash-up of guinea pig pellets and veggies, prepared in the food processor. It was almost like baby food. This made it easier for her to eat, post-op. Looking back, I would probably add Critical Care to this. Another thing is that you can add a little bit of your homemade baby food, or actual store-bought baby food, to the Critical Care to make it more palatable for her. If you opt for the store-bought, check the label and make sure it's nothing except veggies + water (i.e. no artificial ingredients). In addition, the store-bought stuff can be high in sugar so I would use it sparingly and only if you need it.

3. Bailee had 4 siblings and she spent some time away from them in a separate cage to give her a chance to rest and recoup. I left her cage right next to her sisters' cage so she could still see and interact with them.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your Skittles! If you have any more questions please feel free to contact me!

lunarminx
10-23-14, 01:37 pm
Hopefully this is the right place...just here to ask for positive thoughts for little Skittle. She has lost a lot of weight, is only interested in eating her soft veggies, and has a lot of drool on her chin. We have seen the vet and have an appointment on Wednesday to put her under so the vet can take care of any teeth issues she might have. She is like a skeleton and I am very worried about her. I am syringe-feeding her critical care, but she isn't taking much of it. She is constantly asking for food, though, so I am hopeful she has a strong will to get through this. There are not many people who understand why anyone would spend much money on a guinea pig's health, but I know everyone here understands. So please send positive thoughts our way!

I had an older pig that loss a ton of weight, had his molars done. I did force feed him to keep him from losing any more weight. I used kms pellets, softened with pumpkin and water to a runny mush. I followed Lynx directions on force feeding him. He made it and now is stable with a slight gain. If possible leave a little dish of it for when you are not home but also force it. Good luck to you and your piggy.