PDA

View Full Version : Fleece Should I buy Flippers or Liner?

dani_starr
10-21-14, 12:38 am
Simple question, I am having trouble deciding between fleece flippers or getting just a simple cage liner.

I miss having fleece like I did for my rescued foster boys. It was so clean, easy to sweep, soft, etc. I thought I'd love having bedding that I could just scoop and trash for my two new piggies, but it is so annoying. It gets everywhere, and is fairly expensive. A giant bag of carefresh would last my gerbils or ratters a month or two easily, but not for the piggies!

I've been reading several reviews and watching videos for the fleece flippers. However, excluding the cage store site, I can't find any threads that detail on fleece flippers versus cage liners really.

Are the flippers really that more magical compared to the old liners?

My only concern for both is that my cage is tied together with just zip ties, no connectors. Would that affect the fit of the flippers or liner? (Or the fit of the piggy bistro or cafe as well?)

I've never had a premade cage liner (only did the layers of uhaul with fleece on top, which was incredibly frustrating as my sewing skills are virtually non existent, and it would always bunch up after putting it in there), so I don't have that experience to go from.

Also, if I have just somehow missed a previous thread in which this discussed, I'd apologize and would be grateful for the link :)

Lastly, because what is a post without a cute pigture, here are Harry and Ginny in their highly aggravating bedding.

pigger123
10-21-14, 04:37 am
If you only have zip ties and no connectors, your coroplast will smaller than the size that the flippers and cafes are designed for. They might possibly still fit, but it would be a tight squeeze. It shouldn't matter for the liners since they're designed to be a little large anyway.

I personally tried fleece flippers and was not a fan. Since they have 4 layers of Uhaul (2 on each side of the coroplast insert), you have to do almost twice the amount of laundry. And you have to wipe down all the coroplast inserts. And then you have to put all the flippers together, both of which were very annoying for me.

That being said, flippers have benefits as well. They're good for burrowers because of the coroplast insert (although you could also solve burrowing by clipping the fleece to the sides of the cage), they can obviously be flipped to reveal a clean fleece and fresh Uhaul, and they can be rotated around the cage. I personally never used these features though, aside from occasionally flipping them.

I would go with a liner. You wouldn't have to deal with washing all that Uhaul, you wouldn't have to have that many parts to assemble, it's just one nice piece. However, if your pigs tend to burrow, a liner would not work well unless it goes over the coro walls. Also, the liners at the fleece store on this site are way more expensive than liners you can get on Etsy, which would be essentially the same thing. Just make sure that whatever liners you buy actually have an absorbent layer, since some shops have liners with only fleece and maybe batting.

Lovely_Weekers
10-21-14, 08:40 am
I made my own flippers (I'm on a tight budget), and honestly, the liners are so much easier! I do have a borrower that used to get under my fleece and pads when I just clipped it, but he leaves the liners alone. It's way faster to clean the cage and less laundry with the liners, it took like 30-45 mins to do a good clean when I had my flippers, and now it's like 20 mins max, because I only have to wipe out the base and not each flipper. I will say that sweeping was easier with the flippers because mine were snug in the coro so the fleece didn't move when I swept. However the liners are easily taken out during floor time and you can just shake the poos onto the coro and sweep it (or at least thats what I do). I hope this helps.

dani_starr
10-21-14, 09:04 am
If you only have zip ties and no connectors, your coroplast will smaller than the size that the flippers and cafes are designed for. They might possibly still fit, but it would be a tight squeeze. It shouldn't matter for the liners since they're designed to be a little large anyway.

I personally tried fleece flippers and was not a fan. Since they have 4 layers of Uhaul (2 on each side of the coroplast insert), you have to do almost twice the amount of laundry. And you have to wipe down all the coroplast inserts. And then you have to put all the flippers together, both of which were very annoying for me.

That being said, flippers have benefits as well. They're good for burrowers because of the coroplast insert (although you could also solve burrowing by clipping the fleece to the sides of the cage), they can obviously be flipped to reveal a clean fleece and fresh Uhaul, and they can be rotated around the cage. I personally never used these features though, aside from occasionally flipping them.

I would go with a liner. You wouldn't have to deal with washing all that Uhaul, you wouldn't have to have that many parts to assemble, it's just one nice piece. However, if your pigs tend to burrow, a liner would not work well unless it goes over the coro walls. Also, the liners at the fleece store on this site are way more expensive than liners you can get on Etsy, which would be essentially the same thing. Just make sure that whatever liners you buy actually have an absorbent layer, since some shops have liners with only fleece and maybe batting.

That's what I was worried about for the flippers, it seemed like it'd get really old, really fast in taking them completely apart and having to re assemble them each time. I watched the product video on youtube, and it made it seem pretty effortless and easy. But, you know how informercials are, everything always looks like a walk in the park.

I don't know if my kiddos are burrowers, but I guess that'll be something I'll just have to find out the hard way.

I figured there'd be a tiny size difference from using no connectors (I wanted too, but they kept falling off and were just complete junk), but thought that it was more me being overly paranoid. That'd certainly suck to order something and not have it fit!

dani_starr
10-21-14, 09:07 am
I made my own flippers (I'm on a tight budget), and honestly, the liners are so much easier! I do have a borrower that used to get under my fleece and pads when I just clipped it, but he leaves the liners alone. It's way faster to clean the cage and less laundry with the liners, it took like 30-45 mins to do a good clean when I had my flippers, and now it's like 20 mins max, because I only have to wipe out the base and not each flipper. I will say that sweeping was easier with the flippers because mine were snug in the coro so the fleece didn't move when I swept. However the liners are easily taken out during floor time and you can just shake the poos onto the coro and sweep it (or at least thats what I do). I hope this helps.

Is it still fairly easy to sweep the liners, keeping them IN the cage? That was one thing I really did like about the flippers, was how taut and snug they were. Did you have problems with the poops getting jammed in between the flippers?

Lovely_Weekers
10-21-14, 02:25 pm
It's not as easy as the flippers, but if you hold the liner in place with one hand and sweep with the other it's not bad (I usually make a pile and then sweet into the pan if I do it this way). I found the poos getting i nbetween the flippers to be a bigger problem, there were always hidden poos when I did my big clean every week that looked like they had been there for a while.

The liners will move if the pigs get running super fast or popcorn hard, and if they move, sometimes poos can end up under them. When I spot clean if the liner has shifted, I just lift it up and get any runaway poos.

YinYangPiggies
10-21-14, 04:12 pm
Not to add more confusion but I was using liners in the past & have switched to clipping my fleece over the Coro. I still found it annoying that poos would get caught between the sides of the liner & the cage wall, sweeping was easier no doubt than with loose layers. But now I don't sweep at all, I just unclip & take the fleece outside for a shake in the grass. I like this better then trying to lean over the cage & sweep, although clipping fleece back on prob takes the same amount of time when you compare those 2 methods. I also feel like the layers wash up cleaner & dry quicker as opposed to the sewn liner.

dani_starr
10-21-14, 05:06 pm
@YingYangPiggies don't worry about adding more confusion, I appreciate the suggestion!

I unfortunately don't have the option to bring a liner to shake out into the grass (I have an inkling that if I were to to this right outside the apartment building where I let my dog go potty it would *highly* be frowned upon). My only choice is to sweep and trash pretty much.

It looks like the liner will be better in the long run I think. Still torn though.

YinYangPiggies
10-21-14, 05:21 pm
@YingYangPiggies don't worry about adding more confusion, I appreciate the suggestion!

I unfortunately don't have the option to bring a liner to shake out into the grass (I have an inkling that if I were to to this right outside the apartment building where I let my dog go potty it would *highly* be frowned upon). My only choice is to sweep and trash pretty much.

It looks like the liner will be better in the long run I think. Still torn though.

Oh yes, I think you are right!

MrCavyMadness
10-21-14, 06:35 pm
I have both, and definetly prefer the liners. They are easier to wash, and take up much less room, plus they have the same amount of uhaul in them by my custom request. They're made by Piggiepopshop. Her liners are cheaper (and probably) better than the GPMarket. you can find her on Facebook and Etsy.

dani_starr
10-22-14, 11:10 am
Thank you MrCavyMadness! I'll be sure to check her shop out! :)

I also found a link from another member who just used a loose piece of fleece, but tucked it really well with binder clips so it is nice and taut like piggybedspreads. I'm contemplating giving that a go.

http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/93305-As-Promised!-How-To-Lay-Fleece!

It'd certainly be cheaper than buying a premade liner, although a bit of work. It doesn't look terribly hard though.

YinYangPiggies
10-22-14, 12:41 pm
Very nice video! This is how I do my fleece but it's not as neat. I appreciate the pointers, the 2 corner clips is what I'm missing. I do pull the fleece over the grids in back & clip there, it makes a wall in the back to keep stuff from getting behind the cage which is nice. I have a pic in the thread "let's see your fall fleece" as you will see, there IS room for improvement! Lol! Nice thing is, you can have lots of fleece to alternate with only 2 sets of Uhaul to alternate (or wood pellets as some use) underneath.