Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Mid-Height Loft?

Rembaud

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I was thinking of updating my cage, because my youngest girl is now older than six months, and I have found no need to baby-proof as she's gotten as big as my nearly-1-year-old! I am getting new coroplast tomorrow, and am going to make the sides the regular 6 inches rather than the 9 inches they have now.

My idea is to make a loft/kitchen that is mid-level. I've been searching for pictures in the gallery of upper levels and balconies, and can only find a few of the type of lofts I am talking about. Does anyone have any photos of a mid-height upper loft? I've seen the "piggy patio" in the cages store, and unfortunately I cannot afford the price, but it is exactly what I want to do.

So: any photos? Ideas? Advice?

Thanks!

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I made my own version of the piggy party patio (2x1.5 grids).
It's a coroplast tray resting on bent grids, which are supported by wooden dowels. The bent part of the grids forms the front wall, and the coroplast tray lifts out for easy access underneath. The ramp is another bent grid zip-tied to the front of one of the grids, and lined with coroplast covered in fleece. I cut part of the grid to creat an opening for the ramp.

DewOver

Cavy Slave
I want a mid-level loft, too, so I've collected a few pics as I've browsed through the gallery and the thread "Let's see your cage pictures please." I didn't keep track of who posted the pics so I can't give credit where it's due. I wasn't looking specifically for a kitchen on the loft, just ideas how to build one. I'm not sure this is exactly what you're looking for but these are the ones I've found:
FrontOpenView.jpg
mid level lofts with raised 2nd floor.jpg
Bunk beds3.jpg

Attachments

Bunk beds1.jpg

pinky

Cavy Slave
I made my own version of the piggy party patio (2x1.5 grids).
It's a coroplast tray resting on bent grids, which are supported by wooden dowels. The bent part of the grids forms the front wall, and the coroplast tray lifts out for easy access underneath. The ramp is another bent grid zip-tied to the front of one of the grids, and lined with coroplast covered in fleece. I cut part of the grid to creat an opening for the ramp.

Make sure you keep that lid on. I'd be really concerned about them hopping out of the upper level onto the floor. From that height, with raised cage, it would probably be a fatal leap.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Make sure you keep that lid on. I'd be really concerned about them hopping out of the upper level onto the floor. From that height, with raised cage, it would probably be a fatal leap.

I have two dogs who are very interested in the pigs, so the lid is on whenever I'm not actively reaching into the cage. Plus, the piggies have never shown any interest whatsoever in jumping into the great beyond. I appreciate your concern!

Rembaud

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the response! I'm definitely going to do something similar!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.