Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing How often do you bathe your piggies?

Deniselynn

Cavy Slave
I doubt the piggies I adopted were ever bathed. They are clean but I wipe their private areas with a baby wipe so they don't smell like pee. Is it necessary to bathe them?

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
I don't know if it is necessary, but the rescue where I adopted my piggies informed me that I should bathe mine once every 3 months.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You bathe them when they need it. If you keep their skirts trimmed, they won't need it very often.

I wouldn't use a baby wipe on them -- they've got oils and scents in them, and pigs groom themselves. Wipes were never designed for that. Just use a warm damp washcloth.

But they can be bathed more often as long as you're careful to get all the soap out, and to not do it so often that their skin gets dry.

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
If you have a short haired piggy they really never need to be bathed except for maybe the occasional butt bath if they are really dirty. (I usually just go ahead and give mine a butt bath once every three months.)

If you have a long haired, trimming their skirt to keep their fur of the ground will help a ton. My long haired is not only very fluffy and fat but also extremely lazy haha so she needs a bit of extra help. I give her a butt bath once a month using squeaky clean shampoo but if you can afford it gorgeous guineas makes really great shampoos. I give her an all over bath once every six months. (Avoid the mouth, eyes and ears! I just avoid the head altogether..)

Remember if you do have some water beneath them rather than just letting it continue to go down the drain, have it be no more than an inch deep. The water temp, not too hot, not too cold. :)

Also how often you clean their cage (and also how often you exchange the cozies and potty pads as bpatters mentioned in your other thread) makes a huge difference in how they smell and how clean they will be.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
The only pig I ever bathed was one with diarrhea problems, but I eventually just started cleaning her with an unscented baby wipe because the baths seemed to make matters worse. My other pigs have never had baths.

daisy1cow

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I don't bathe my american's per say, I give them undercarriage soaks :) I know they sleep where they pee and just don't smell so nice. So I run some warm water in the tub with some guinea pig shampoo and let them soak for a bit, then change out the water and rinse. Its not a whole body bath, just to get the important areas.

My peruvian and texel I do bathe because they are little mops, especially the texel. I bathe them about every month or two. Its also easier to comb and trim them after they are freshly bathed and damp.

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
My piggies poop and they lay in the poop lol so I usually wipe them down with a damp rag once every two to three days

Deniselynn

Cavy Slave
Thanks!! I will use a damp washcloth to clean their undercarriag.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
You should bathe pigs only when they're super dirty. Which shouldn't be very often.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.