Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Introducing Pigs?

cavylover143

Cavy Slave
I currently have one pig, Felix. I've had him for about 2-3 months and he is about 10 months old. He's a very lengthy pig!
Anyways, I am going to be getting him a friend soon and I was wondering if it's okay to get a baby pig? Also they will both be males and my current pig is not neutered. It shouldn't matter if they're the same sex obviously but will that cause them to be territorial? I'm just a bit uneasy because I introduced him to my hamster and he kind of tried to nibble on her so any advice would be amazing! Thank you!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
First, hamsters and guinea pigs shouldn't be put together. They can't live together for a variety of reasons -- different wake/sleep schedules, different foods, and different personality characteristics are just a few examples.

A baby pig will be fine, and they should get along well together at the beginning. However, the baby is going to hit puberty at some point, and then you may have some territorial issues. But with a large enough cage, things will probably work out ok.

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
Hello!
Getting your pigs neutered will not change any territorial issues. And you're absolutely fine with pairing him with a baby, it may even make the initial introduction go smoother. Be prepared that there may be a few squabbles once the baby enters puberty though!

The Introduction Process:
1) Allow Felix to help choose his new friend. Many rescues will allow "speed dating" so you can see how well he gets on with another. Things will be a bit different once the newcomer is in "his" cage, but initial reactions are good to base your decision off of!

2) Allow them to meet on neutral territory. For example, a playpen or the bathtub. Keep them in seeing and hearing distance while doing this, with a towel and some heavy duty gloves in hands (just in case a fight breaks out, you want to be prepared!). If they're getting on fine, start cleaning out the main cage.

3) Clean out the main cage! You want it completely scrubbed down, you want the scent to be as neutral as physically possible.
-If you use disposable bedding, change it out completely
-If you use fleece, throw it in the washer and dryer. Along with it, throw in anything else that can go in the washer (snuggle sacs, cuddle cups, other beds/stuffed toys, etc)
-Wipe down EVERYTHING plastic (a lot of people recommend with a vinegar solution). The plastic of the cage bottom, any hideaways, any ball toys, etc.
-Because wooden things are harder to clean, simple remove them from the cage. Introduce entirely fresh chew toys. If you have wooden houses, just leave them out until the boys are both settled into the new cages (I'd give it at least a week to be totally safe)
-Put water bottles, food bowls, hay racks, etc... either through the dish washer, or hand clean them.
-Put fresh water, food and hay into the cage.

Once the cage is done, start up a bath for your pigs. Wash them together. This is called a "buddy bath". Not only does it neutralize their scent, but a lot of pigs find baths a wee bit scary, so it's not uncommon for the two to go to one another for comfort.

Once the cage and pigs are neutralized, put them into the shared cage together. Do not separate again after this. I can't stress this enough - Do not separate them again unless actual violence breaks out (ie: blood shed). Humping, nipping, chasing, etc, are all completely normal behaviors. You will most likely see some of this things happen because it's how guinea pigs settle dominance. It's a bit scary to watch, but it's normal, and you have to just let it run its course.

Good luck!

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
I would also bring Felix with you when you get your second piggie. I'm assuming you are going to a rescue.

Describe your piggies temperament to the Rescue staff so that they can help pair him with another male piggie. Then follow whatever else says above.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.