Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Fleece or Paper?

baileyrianne

Cavy Slave
I've always used paper and I'm building a new cage so I was think of switching to fleece. Which is easier and better?

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
Paper bedding? Like CareFRESH?

daisy1cow

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Depends on the size of your cage I think. Smaller cages don't do quite as well with fleece. I would never go back to that paper bedding after using fleece. I love it, cost effective and super cute. You can have many for the seasons and fun. Will put the pumpkin fleece in next week for Halloween.

baileyrianne

Cavy Slave
Depends on the size of your cage I think. Smaller cages don't do quite as well with fleece. I would never go back to that paper bedding after using fleece. I love it, cost effective and super cute. You can have many for the seasons and fun. Will put the pumpkin fleece in next week for Halloween.

I saw this online and this is what I was planing on doing. Plus a ramp. image.jpg

baileyrianne

Cavy Slave
What size cage are you planning on building?
Don't know if you saw the pic I posted for the other quote, but something similar to that.

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
Oh, well I would fleece the bottom for sure and you could make fleece liners to do the loft if that is where food and hay will be. You could do whatever up in the loft I would think. Whatever suits you and your situation. But I would fleece and uhaul the bottom. Cute cage

baileyrianne

Cavy Slave
Oh, well I would fleece the bottom for sure and you could make fleece liners to do the loft if that is where food and hay will be. You could do whatever up in the loft I would think. Whatever suits you and your situation. But I would fleece and uhaul the bottom. Cute cage

I saw something about using wooden pellets but I'm not sure if it's any good.

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
Its all personal preference. I know people who love wood pellets and swear by them. I thought they were heavy and hard to change out and I didn't care for the light smell of them. I think for a small area, but my cage is 3x5 with a 2x2 kitchen, I don't have sides as my cage sits on vinyl and the pellets wouldn't be contained. I like fleece and uhaul pads or fleece and towels. Experiment and see what you like. Bags of pellets are around $5 so your not out a bunch if you buy a couple of bags.

SomethingFunny

Cavy Slave
I like fleece a lot but it's not right for everyone. Keep in mind that you have to brush off the fleece once a day and launder it once a week. Paper bedding is more low maintenance.

baileyrianne

Cavy Slave
Its all personal preference. I know people who love wood pellets and swear by them. I thought they were heavy and hard to change out and I didn't care for the light smell of them. I think for a small area, but my cage is 3x5 with a 2x2 kitchen, I don't have sides as my cage sits on vinyl and the pellets wouldn't be contained. I like fleece and uhaul pads or fleece and towels. Experiment and see what you like. Bags of pellets are around $5 so your not out a bunch if you buy a couple of bags.

I think ill try the pellets out with the fleece on top. Then if it doesn't work out, I'll try something else. What are uhaul pads?

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
they are sold at any Uhaul place, and online I think. They are recycled something, very absorbent and I like them better than towels although towels weren't horrible.
Talk to bpatter and pigger123, they both use pellets and love them. Could probably find a thread on it as well so they don't have to repeat themselves on it all.
Good luck. Ive tried it all and most and came back to uhaul pads and fleece as my preference.

baileyrianne

Cavy Slave
they are sold at any Uhaul place, and online I think. They are recycled something, very absorbent and I like them better than towels although towels weren't horrible.
Talk to bpatter and pigger123, they both use pellets and love them. Could probably find a thread on it as well so they don't have to repeat themselves on it all.
Good luck. Ive tried it all and most and came back to uhaul pads and fleece as my preference.

Are uhaul pads like puppy pads?

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Uhaul pads are moving blankets made from recycled denim. I use wood pellets under my fleece, and I have a thread about them titled "my bedding story, finally found the perfect solution!"

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.