Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage My cage setup (in South Korea)

sundizz

Cavy Slave
It is a bit hard to get coroplast etc out here and my place is really small. After spending the first few weeks with the piggies trying to build adequate housing I decided to try something a bit different. I live in a tiny studio apartment so I had to get creative to find space for them. This is the end result..

009.jpg007.jpg

pinky

Cavy Slave
That's great! Depending upon what your floor is made of, you might want to consider some sort of protective covering so urine won't ruin it.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I agree that you might want to cover the floor. In addition to the possibility of the urine damaging it, it looks pretty slippery and it might be hard for the pigs to get enough traction. It looks really good, I'm sure they love it!

janinehunt

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
As long as they're not going to get crushed by a door opening, or be able to escape, it looks good. You might want to give them hideys, so they're not so exposed and have somewhere to feel safe and to relax. Just cardboard boxes with entrances and exits cut out will do, and maybe some soft fleece or cushions for them to sleep on.

Also, you don't need to cut their veggies into tiny pieces. Big chunks will do, and there is less of a choking hazard.

Cute piggies too!

sundizz

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Yeah, I've experimented with a few different things (such as mats on the floor) but this seems to be the setup that works the best for both me and the piggies. Anything else I use to cover the floor it becomes a big hassle to spot clean up everyday. As for the urine...my piggies are pretty awesome in just (broken link removed) and (broken link removed) at one corner of the white box with the bedding. I usually spray the whole area down lightly with some vinegar and water during the end of the week cleanup and that gets any minor stains out pretty easily.

I'm a bit sad about the hidey situation. I really love cutting up boxes etc for them to play in. However, one of the piggies just hides all the time if I have a hidey in there. She just doesn't leave unless it's dark out. It makes her skittish nature tenfold more paranoid. The two are polar opposites....i never realized how amazingly different they could be. I put stuff in their for them to play with for a few hours a day usually. I'll get the fleece in their now that fall is here. In the summer they just loved laying on the cool marble stone thing and the fleece was a bit pointless due to the heat.

LyssaAnnette

Cavy Slave
Great setup! It does look like they are very tidy piggies :) That little green bowl is cute. I always catch myself wanting to by my piggy some cute dinnerware for his veggies and pellets!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.