Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps How steep? How wide?

DewOver

Cavy Slave
I've been looking and haven't found the answers even though this must be discussed somewhere. Is 4" a reasonable width for a ramp? And how steep can a ramp be and still be safe and comfortable for my piggies to use? I'll be using a bath mat or something for traction.

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
4 in. should be fine, and 45 degree angle or less

DewOver

Cavy Slave
They'll be able to handle a 45 degree angle? Wow, I'm not sure I could! lol

DewOver

Cavy Slave
Assuming that your loft height is the standard 14" grid, I recommend a ramp that is 6" wide by 28" long. I personally wouldn't even consider a cloth base for it, and that includes carpet. You'll be much happier with something that you can easily clean and that is durable.

I recommend stair tread material that you can buy at Home Depot in the flooring section. Be sure to cut the material so that the "ribs" are in a horizontal direction. You can attach the material with a high-temp hot glue gun.
By bath mat I meant the mat that goes inside the tub, a non-slip rubber/plastic type material rather than a carpet. I have one with enough texture I think it will work. I was thinking the same about cleaning it, although a small carpet bath mat could get tossed in the washer with the fleece items from the cage. Hot glue is a good idea for how to attach rubber/plastic treads.

I haven't committed to a plan yet but the one I'm playing with has the loft at 18" high. The 14" ones look sort of cramped to me although I realize the piggies probably like that. Why do you think 6" is a good width for the ramp? My guys aren't all that big as Guinea pigs go and aren't going to grow much more. I was wondering about tunnel sizes, too. I've seen some people recommend 4" tunnels and other people say that's too small. Also, do you think having the sides of the ramp solid/covered (instead of open grid) helps the piggies to be more comfortable using it?

DewOver

Cavy Slave
No the standard 14" high grid provides more than enough room under the loft. Why go to the time and effort to cut grids that will then need to be sanded smooth? Now, having said that, my loft walls are only 6 grid squares high (vs. the 9 squares). The height of the loft is more esthetically pleasing to me and it's still high enough that they aren't tempted to climb out. When I'm seated at my desk, they are just about eye level with me which seems to please them.

I'm not going to be cutting grids to get the 18" height. I'm planning to use the wire sides of other cages in addition to grids and maybe some wire shelving. My current fantasy has the loft at 18" with a partial mid-level loft at 9".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.