Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

FreeCycle and CraigsList

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
In other threads, I've noticed that CraigsList has been recommended to those looking for new guinea pig companions. Today I read in PETA's "Animal Times" that CraigsLists allows "free to good home" ads, as well as ads for breeding and selling animals.

Since "free to good home" animals often end up meeting gruesome fates (being sold to people for dog-fighting bait, being sold to scientific labs, or just being handed over to people who abuse animals), I'm not sure that these two companies/web sites should be advocated.

If anyone wants to contact these companies and request a no "free to good home" policy, their contact info is:

The FreeCycle Network
P.O. Box 294
Tucson, AZ 85702
[email protected]

and

Craigslist
1391 Ninth Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94122
fax #: 415-504-6394

Marlania

Cavy Slave
I always see "free to good home" ads on FreeCycle. I've never really looked at Craigslist. It seems a lot of folks assume "free" makes the animal appear more attractive, and somehow "to a good home" will keep all the oddballs from inquiring about the animal. The thought that their animal could be used as bait for those who fight dogs or their small critter may be could be used as food doesn't seem to cross their minds.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Yes, but when I post adoptables, I usually say adoption fee, or it is implied. Craig's List is just another site to find piggies to rescue, or put ads. You get some iffy responses, but sometimes decent or good ones.

When you are placing an animal, it is always a good idea to screen, ask for an adoption fee and make sure you are comfortable with the adopter.

They don't have mods at Craig's List. You are not allowed to sell animals on there, but no one mods any of the posts like here. It is kind of an honor system, with the flagging button at the top for people to flag items to their attention.

For freecycle, it depends on the city. Some do not allow animals, some do.

C&K

Cavy Slave
From my understanding, Freecycle does not benifit from any of the ads that are posted. If someone is silly enough to give up their animal on a list like this, then I think it is a good thing if someone responsible swoops in and picks it up, otherwise you have no idea where it is going.

Pets should never be given away for free, but I don't think that it makes much sense to boycott free ads. What about newspaper ads? There will always be irresponsible people looking to ditch animals. Lets just hope these animals make it to a good place. However, I think it is a good idea to contact freecycle and this other list and say they should have a policy that does not allow it.

I got my first pig off Freecycle, the whole experiance was weird. She was a very loved, but they where waiting outside with her when we arrived, helped load her into the van, told us about how to take care of her, and waved good bye. Luckally she is in a good home. I would advocate for people to check Freecycle ads for unwanted pets, but definately think it would be a positive if they took a no pets approach for the future.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
A "Free to Good Home" ad is the type that attracts individuals who want reptile food, or who get animals to sell to laboratories, or use them as dog-bait, or who just want to abuse them for the fun of it. That is the trouble with ads that read "Free to Good Home."

It's very difficult to screen, also, because the people responding to those ads are not going to call you on the phone and say, "Hey, I hear you've got a free guinea pig - great, my python's starving!" No one is going to *admit* something like that; so screening doesn't do a lot of good.

People who want animals for these types of purposes are not going to be interested in paying much of an adoption fee. Of course, there are good people who might respond to these ads, as well, but is it worth the risk?

I'm not advocating that newspapers, community papers, and web sites totally stop their ads for animals, as I believe they can be a valuable tool in rehoming animals. However, I think that there should be policies in place to prevent "Free to Good Home" ads.

I was a tad confused by your post, Cavies-and-Kids. I'm not sure if you were saying you don't think it's a good idea to contact these agencies about a no "free to good home" policy or if you were agreeing that yes, that is a good idea.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but I do think the information should be provided so that people can make informed decisions about which websites they advocate. I provided the contact information, so if you choose to write to these agencies, you can.

C&K

Cavy Slave
Susan9608 said:
I was a tad confused by your post, Cavies-and-Kids. I'm not sure if you were saying you don't think it's a good idea to contact these agencies about a no "free to good home" policy or if you were agreeing that yes, that is a good idea.

Sorry, I totally agree with you 100% that "free to good home" is terrible and should be stopped, does not matter where the listing is, even if it is on a billboard in a landromat.

I am just thinking that as long as they are running on these sites, getting people who want the pets for loving companions should be more then encouraged to use them, to prevent the pets from being adopted to become reptile food.

That being said, I agree 100% that people should not be able to place these ads, and that going to the source, or the person in charge of the media is the best route to protect these very animals.

I am going to write a letter to my local newspaper requesting that they be stopped, and my local freecycle groups.

Hope that clears up any confusion:)

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Yes. Thanks. :) Confusion gone.

CavyKind

Cavy Slave
There are several Uk sites and papers that carry "free to good home ads" all kinds of animals are offered. It's very sad.
I've rang up and taken in a lot of guineas this way over the years, but you've got to be really quick or they are snapped up...who knows where they go?
Barbara

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
My freecvycle group is holding a vote about animals on freecycle. At the moment they are allowed, but it seems some memeber are harrasing other members so they are deciding what to do about it. I voted "No, animals should not be given away on freecyle". It was 55% yes and 44% no, or something like that last time I check. People can change thier vote until Oct 12.

If you live in Toronto now is a good time to join freecycle and vote.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.