Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Mites Treating a two week old baby for mites

SLovesPigs

Cavy Slave
I have four female guinea pigs, and lately I've noticed that three of them, including my six month old female's two week old pup, have itching and hair thinning. I want to go ahead and treat them all for mites just to be safe, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about treating the baby (and I'm actually not sure how to treat any of them). The baby's still under a pound and it seems like everything I find about mite treatments is for guinea pigs that weigh over a pound.

I've also noticed that the baby has a slight head tilt. Well, it's not really a tilt, but she always turns her head slightly to the side, even when she walks. From some angles it doesn't even look like her head is turned. Should I be worried about this? It doesn't seem like it's impacting her mobility or getting any worse. She's been that way since the week she was born. Both of her siblings died before they turned a week old but they were both small and runt-y and she seems bright and healthy, except for the hair thinning.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I believe pups have to be 350 grams before you can treat them with ivermectin -- that's about 12 ounces. The baby surely doesn't weigh that much. I believe they can be treated with Revolution for kittens if absolutely necessary, but in the U.S., you'll have to get it from a vet or order it overseas.

What is the hair-thinning pattern like on the pigs? Could the problem possibly be fungal rather than mites?

SLovesPigs

Cavy Slave
The baby has hair thinning around the base of her neck (it's just a few thin patches). Bubbles, my Abyssinian, has some hair missing in one of the spots between her rosettes (more than normal). Hazel, the mother, has a few patches of thin fur on her sides. My other girl, Lucy, doesn't look like she has any hair loss, but she's still been scratching more than usual. And thanks, I'll start looking around for it.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I would treat the mom and other girls with ivermectin, and the baby should get the residual benefits, especially if she's still nursing. She will most likely be 12 ounces soon, and you can treat her then.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.