Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Covers Looking for Cover Alternatives

Smashley

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! I'm currently looking for a C&C cage for my future pair of female piggies.

I've decided to order my cage from this website. I would really love to support everything it does, and I'm really not that great when it comes to DIY projects. In my opinion, sometimes it's just easier to buy it! xD

Anyway, I'm stuck between two different options.
(1) A covered 2x3
(2) An uncovered 2x4

A covered 2x4 would be absolute perfect. However, with shipping included, it's a bit out of my price range.

Why do I need a cover? My home is also the home of three cats and a large dog. All seem fairly harmless, and I will do my best to keep them out of the piggies' room at all times. However, that being said, I would still feel safer if the cage was covered securely.

With purchasing a 2x4 being the ideal situation, I'm currently looking for cheaper covers, or a cheap and easy way to make my own.

I was thinking about using regular grids as a cover, and securing them together with zip ties. This would allow me the freedom to "swing" open the cage, which would give me easier access to the piggies. Has anyone ever tried this before?

I would appreciate any ideas or advice you would be willing to share! :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Closet shelving from a home improvement store, like Lowe's or Home Depot. A lid made of grids won't keep the dog/cats out if they decide to get on top of it unless you brace it with something. Closet shelving will.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
I agree with bpatters. You can make a top/lid easily with closet shelving or, what I did was buy a cheap playpen and take it apart. I ziptied the playpen pieces on top so they would flip up. Then you can use like a binder clip, or put something on top to keep it closed or not able to be opened by unwanted furry friends

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.