PDA

View Full Version : Fleece Foam in hidey huts?

pigger123
10-02-14, 01:54 pm
I've been seeing that a lot of the fleece hidey huts people are selling say they have foam on the inside. What kind of foam is this, and where does one buy it? Is it like batting? How do you sew with it?

YinYangPiggies
10-02-14, 02:03 pm
I would like to know this as well! I wonder if the uhaul would work.

bpatters
10-02-14, 02:04 pm
I tried a couple. They stink pretty bad, and you have to be absolutely certain the pigs can't get to the foam because they'll eat it.

pigger123
10-02-14, 02:07 pm
bpatters So you don't like the foam? I want something that will keep the sides of my hidey huts from just caving in, and batting doesn't really work well enough.

bpatters
10-02-14, 02:51 pm
I can't remember the name of the stuff I think works best. It's like boning, except that the stiff part in the center is plastic, not steel, and it comes in rolls. You just put two or three pieces in the hut, and it holds the whole thing up.

I'll probably remember the name in the middle of the night tonight. If I do, I'll post back on here tomorrow. Or maybe someone else who sews will post it.

pigger123
10-02-14, 02:55 pm
I actually have plastic boning, it might be what you're talking about. I used it for my tunnels and snuggle sacks and it worked really well, so I might try making a hidey hut with it!

Lord Pigwidgeon
10-02-14, 03:25 pm
For a tunnel I made, I used a very bendable plastic sheet that I found at a craft store. I slid it along the fleece, then did the batting, then another layer of fleece and because I can't sew much, I knotted it all into a circle. Right now it's their favorite thing to snuggle in because it's starting to get a little cold here.

pigger123
10-02-14, 03:26 pm
Do you wash your tunnel with the plastic inside?

Lord Pigwidgeon
10-02-14, 10:54 pm
Yeah, where it was plastic I wasn't concerned. I'd made one with cardboard once but you can't wash it, so it was taken apart. So far it has held up well, its been washed twice now with nothing wrong.

SomethingFunny
10-03-14, 08:12 pm
If you want something like plastic boning but don't know where to get it try zip ties. If you go down to a hardware store you can get them in pretty big sizes and the larger ones are surprisingly stiff. I have a friend who uses the biggest size as corset boning and she swears by it.

spy9doc
10-04-14, 08:32 am
Like BP, I wouldn't use foam in the cuddle cup. :sick:

I buy my boning at JoAnn's and sew it around the opening at just the point where I turn back the inside layer. It really won't matter if the rest of the cup doesn't stay open so long as they see the opening and can get into it.

You could sew a layer of uHall in the middle, but I prefer batting for the CC.........use your uHaul scraps for the loose pads that we all use for "throw rugs" (my expression) I find that my cavies like their cuddle cup even in the summer and using uHaul in the middle almost makes them too warm. I buy a fairly heavy batting for the inside layer (doesn't take much material).

barbaramudge
10-05-14, 10:32 am
You can use plastic canvas from the craft store. Very inexpensive and you can cut it to whatever size/shape you want. Make sure you clip to a smooth edge. You can wash it but don't use hot water or a hot dryer.