Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Ovarian Cysts Post ovarian cyst surgery care.

• Thread starter EllaBellaMuffin
  • Start date

EllaBellaMuffin

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Yesterday my 2 year old female was diagnosed with ovarian cyst, surgery is scheduled for next week (not cheap). What is the post surgery care, I have read stories here, that some piggies have opened their stitches. And how long is the recovery period. What are the chances of her dying on while on surgery, I am really scared:(

daisy1cow

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@spudsthepiget has had it done on one of her girls. She could have some input. I remember the vet putting a sticky wrap around mables middle to keep her from the stitches and it was terrible when they pulled it off. Mable cried and squealed. But mable is so happy and well now.

EllaBellaMuffin

Cavy Slave
I hope the doctor will use that sticky wrap too, its my biggest fear she will open her wound:(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There are risks to any surgery with guinea pigs, and a spay is a major surgery for them. However, in the hands of an excellent vet, and with no unpleasant surprises during the surgery, she should be just fine.

Many vets don't use external sutures any more -- they suture the inner muscle layer and then glue the skin together. That helps keep the pig from chewing at the wound. I would hope they wouldn't glue anything to the pig -- that sounds painful and unnecessary.

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
It was horrible when they tore it off. She squealed and cried and they just ripped. It looked like a pelt when the got done there was so much fur. I was so mad. Their has to be a more humane way to do it. I love that vet too. She is usually so good to our gpigs and very knowledgeable but that was horrible. Inner stitches and glue sounds so much better. But other than that, she recovered awesomely and is healthy and fine now. All went well without complications.

EllaBellaMuffin

Cavy Slave
@bpatters My biggest fear is that she will die during the surgery, but we do have an excellent exotic vet so somewhat I know she is in good hands. [MENTION=28396]daisy1cow[/MENTION] Omg that sounds horrible, inner stitches and clue does sound better.

spudsthepiget

Cavy Slave
I know it's scary to drop them off at the vet knowing what's about to happen, but it sounds like she'll be in good hands :)

When my Mable came home after her surgery, I set up one of my old pet store cages for her to recover in. That way she could get some rest and wouldn't be tempted to run around and pull her stitches. I also kept her separated from her neutered hubby Spuds; I hated to do it, but other pigs can bite on the incision reopen it. They were happy to be back together once she was healed.

One thing to be sure of is that the vet sends home antibiotics and pain medication. Guinea pigs start eating sooner when they're on pain meds. For the most part, she'll need quiet and rest. I tried to only handle Mable when necessary when she was recovering.

Best of luck to you and your girl!

EllaBellaMuffin

Cavy Slave
@spudsthepiget Thank you so much, do you think I should keep the piggie in the other room and if yes for how long? I was thinking of making 2 by 2 and put it in the piggie area (free range piggies) and how long you it would take her to recover?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
When one of my sows had stone surgery, I was told to keep her inactive for a full week. I partitioned their large cage, and put Flourish in a 1x2 section of it. As she started feeling a little better, I'd move the divider a few inches. By the end of the week, she had a 2x3. She was still in the cage with her sister, but isolated enough so that they couldn't roughhouse enough to hurt Flourish.

spudsthepiget

Cavy Slave
I kept Mable in the other room, but that was only because there wasn't enough room in the pig room for all 3 C&C cages and her temporary cage. I like bpatters' idea of slowly expanding the temporary cage.

If I remember right, it took about 10 days for Mable to recover. At 10 days, I took in her in and they removed her bandage and said she had healed enough to go back in with Spuds.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.