Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Questions About Both Floor Time and Behavior

CinnaAndNutmeg

Cavy Slave
I don't tend to give my girls floor time very often because they both just tend to sit there, scared. I don't know why because I have them in a very calm environment, but they've always been pretty skittish in nature since I got them. I use the towel trick to pick one of my girls up, but the other it is still nearly impossible. This is very frustrating for me as I spend a lot of time caring for them, and I have a lot of other things going on with school and sports but a big chunk of my time is spent with them, and they aren't seeming to get any more attatched to me. So my questions are 1. What can I do to get them to enjoy floor time and actually use it and 2. How can I get them more bonded with me/easier to hold? I try and handfeed them veggies at least once a day and try and pet them, but they jump when I do. Suggestions?

rnsparks

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig Winnie is a very scared piggy as well. I have had him for about a year now and he is just now starting to like me and trust me. It takes a lot of time for some pigs.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I have two five year old sows that have hated floor time all their lives. All they do is huddle together under something and refuse to move. I gave up on it a long time ago.

You'll have to catch them and hold them to tame them. Just line up some of their favorite veggies, catch one, sit down, and feed her by hand while you're gently petting her and talking to her. The way to a pig's heart is through its stomach, and the more she sees you as the bringer of good things. the better she'll like you.

CinnaAndNutmeg

Cavy Slave
I have two five year old sows that have hated floor time all their lives. All they do is huddle together under something and refuse to move. I gave up on it a long time ago.

You'll have to catch them and hold them to tame them. Just line up some of their favorite veggies, catch one, sit down, and feed her by hand while you're gently petting her and talking to her. The way to a pig's heart is through its stomach, and the more she sees you as the bringer of good things. the better she'll like you.

The thing is they're not so easy to catch! haha it's good to know that it's ok to give up on it. Maybe I will start trying it more once they trust me more.

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
What stuff do you put in your floor time space? I have a very outgoing piggie Hermes and a very shy cuy Icarus. Both have a ball at floor time, but I have a lot of boxes and tunnels set up for them. For Hermes, it's more stuff to play with. For Icarus, it's fun to play and explore but also knowing he always has a hiding space nearby. Then again, maybe Hermes is just a good influence on Icarus.

Also, both my boys hate being picked up but are fine (at least now that they're used to me) once in my arms, especially if veggies are provided. I'm convinced they will always hate being picked up, some pigs are just like that.

CinnaAndNutmeg

Cavy Slave
What stuff do you put in your floor time space? I have a very outgoing piggie Hermes and a very shy cuy Icarus. Both have a ball at floor time, but I have a lot of boxes and tunnels set up for them. For Hermes, it's more stuff to play with. For Icarus, it's fun to play and explore but also knowing he always has a hiding space nearby. Then again, maybe Hermes is just a good influence on Icarus.

Also, both my boys hate being picked up but are fine (at least now that they're used to me) once in my arms, especially if veggies are provided. I'm convinced they will always hate being picked up, some pigs are just like that.

I usually have a lot of cardboard boxes and tunnels too. I think I will try putting out more toy-type things next time. Nutmeg wiggles in my arms, but I will try veggies.

Lord Pigwidgeon

Cavy Slave
I think it can also just depend on the pig. My youngest, Killian, is so calm and happy with anyone! He just sits there and nuzzles you and explores your hands and arms, and then just sits on your shoulder telling you all about his day. Sir Pig can't STAND to be picked up, but once you settle him on your shoulder and pet him, he's perfectly content. President Snow absolutely loathes being picked up and held. You can sit him in your lap and scratch under his chin, but anything else and he's not a happy piggy. He's never bitten me, but he just pouts when I pick him up.

It's the same way for floor time. Killian Jones runs around all sorts of spazzy and happy, Sir Pig takes time to warm up to floor time, and President Snow just sits in a hidey, munching on hay and looking pouty. Some of them take much longer to warm up to humans, so the towel trick is amazing, but another thing I personally like to do is actually get into the cage. I know that sounds completely weird! But I have a 2X5 with a 2X2 attachment, so when I'm spot cleaning poop, I have to step into the cage (it is on the floor, so it's not a huge trouble for me) and sweep up that way. But whenever I do that, they seem to love it! They begin popcorning, running up and sniffing me, popcorning away, then run zoomies through my legs. At first they didn't seem to like it, but now they get excited when I do it. I think because my scent has gotten all up in their cage, it made them get used to it even faster due to the overwhelming human smell everywhere that they run around and sleep.

While I know that not everyone has that odd little helpful bit, something similar that you can do is just rest your hand and arm in the cage. Like I said, mine is on the floor so I usually sit beside the cage on my laptop (what I'm doing right now, actually) and chat with them. I'll rest my arm in the cage, and as they walk by they sniff me and keep going. It's a smaller scale version of me being in there to clean. Basically, it gets my scent where they are, and makes them comfortable with it.

CinnaAndNutmeg

Cavy Slave
I think it can also just depend on the pig. My youngest, Killian, is so calm and happy with anyone! He just sits there and nuzzles you and explores your hands and arms, and then just sits on your shoulder telling you all about his day. Sir Pig can't STAND to be picked up, but once you settle him on your shoulder and pet him, he's perfectly content. President Snow absolutely loathes being picked up and held. You can sit him in your lap and scratch under his chin, but anything else and he's not a happy piggy. He's never bitten me, but he just pouts when I pick him up.

It's the same way for floor time. Killian Jones runs around all sorts of spazzy and happy, Sir Pig takes time to warm up to floor time, and President Snow just sits in a hidey, munching on hay and looking pouty. Some of them take much longer to warm up to humans, so the towel trick is amazing, but another thing I personally like to do is actually get into the cage. I know that sounds completely weird! But I have a 2X5 with a 2X2 attachment, so when I'm spot cleaning poop, I have to step into the cage (it is on the floor, so it's not a huge trouble for me) and sweep up that way. But whenever I do that, they seem to love it! They begin popcorning, running up and sniffing me, popcorning away, then run zoomies through my legs. At first they didn't seem to like it, but now they get excited when I do it. I think because my scent has gotten all up in their cage, it made them get used to it even faster due to the overwhelming human smell everywhere that they run around and sleep.

While I know that not everyone has that odd little helpful bit, something similar that you can do is just rest your hand and arm in the cage. Like I said, mine is on the floor so I usually sit beside the cage on my laptop (what I'm doing right now, actually) and chat with them. I'll rest my arm in the cage, and as they walk by they sniff me and keep going. It's a smaller scale version of me being in there to clean. Basically, it gets my scent where they are, and makes them comfortable with it.

Thanks for all the helpful advice! My cage is raised up on a table (I used to have it on the floor but they seem to like it better and it's easier for me elevated) I do try and spend a few minutes with my hand in their cage every day. I'm worried they will run if I have them on my lap, so I've never tried it. Same with shoulder. If I pick my Nutmeg up she wriggles after a minute, so I don't know that she'll stay on my lap but I guess i haven't tried.

Lord Pigwidgeon

Cavy Slave
So you could get a bigger, thicker blanket (one that you don't mind having to wash if they pee on it) and then settle them on your lap with the blanket fluffed up all around them. If they try to scramble away, you have time to pick them up because they're trying to climb up this mound of fluffiness, and then you can hold them before they get away. I also do that with them sometimes so that they can burrow and snooze while still chilling on my lap. President Snow seems to like that best because he just hides in the blanket and sleeps while I pet him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.