Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Feet Spurs/Dead skin

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
During a routine nail clipping I noticed something odd on Daisy's foot. My first thought was a spur, but after reading GL
Some guinea pigs develop flaps of tough skin that protrude from their front feet.
(https://www.guinealynx.info/feet.html), I know it can't be that as it's on her back foot. It isn't protruding from the foot like the picture on GL either.

It isn't hot, and touching evokes no reaction at all. It appears to be an extra flap of skin on the base of the foot pad, with the very top part not attached, and the bottom section attached. The bottom section is a normal colour, the top is a slightly paler pink. The bottom feels the same as each of her pads front and back, the top feels like dead skin. No swelling either.*

They're on fleece bedding with recycled paper pellets in their kitchen, although I know bedding doesn't usually play a part in feet issues unless it's bumblefoot, which after looking at pictures of various stages I don't feel this is.

The extra "flap" was discovered a week ago before I went on holiday, my mum was with them 24/7 and under strict instructions to head to a vet if there were any changes, and there haven't been.

I'm inclined to feel that it's probably just some benign dead skin, and am tempted to do an epsom salt soak to be on the safe side, all the while a careful watch will be kept on the foot and if I feel any heat, swelling etc, it'll be straight to the vet. Just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on this/had dealt with something similar, and get some advice on the epsom salt soaks (how much salt in how much water etc)

*I would provide a picture but each photo I take (with a camera, webcam, or phone) just doesn't show it because it's so blended in and similar to the rest of the foot.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
It is entirely possible it is a spur. Spurs are most common on the front feet, but it is certainly possible for them to get them on the back feet. I have had one pig in my care get a spur on a back foot, it grew slower then the spurs on her front feet and disappeared entirely after the 3rd/4th trimming.

As always though just keep an eye on it just encase it isn't a spur.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
@Soecara there's not enough of the dead/hard stuff for me to trim at this point, but it's good to know it's likely just a slowly developing spur. If it stays at this size I'll leave it be, because there's no where near enough of it for it to get caught and tear off (thankfully)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I recall one of my previous pigs being pretty prone to them as well, but I was young and it was my mum that trimmed them. Hopefully Daisy's will stay small and won't need trimming!

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
Tulip (RIP) had a spur. I used to trim it every so often with no problems.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.