Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Marshmallow!

ashl3ym0n3t

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

This is Marshmallow!

We're new to this form of social media but so far it seems like everyone here is super helpful and nice. Marsh is my first guinea pig ever and I'm in LOVE! He's a preschool class pet and is the only one I have. I've found that I'm allergic to him but that doesn't stop me from giving him love. I have been concerned about him being alone though. I got him when he was 2 months old. He's about 6 months now. Is it too late to introduce him to another cavy? Is he OK by himself? Should I get another breed incase I'm just allergic to his breed specifically? Oh and is it just me or is the 4-toe in front, 3-toe in back thing interesting?

Thanks in advance!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome!

Are you sure it's not the hay you're allergic to? Guinea pigs are pretty non-allergenic animals, while hay is a very common allergen. If you're feeding him timothy, try orchard grass, meadow grass, or bluegrass, and see if your allergies improve.

He does need a buddy, but you need to be sure your cage is large enough. Click on the Main tab at the top of this page for recommended cage sizes.

I'm sure others will join in on more advice on feeding, etc.

He's awfully cute.

ashl3ym0n3t

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I wasn't quite sure if it was the hay or if it was him because I get itchy and my skin whelps up in areas that he touches me directly and not so much when I'm feeling him. I'll try one of those types of grasses though and see if that helps.

Regarding him being solo, I've been told so many times that he's fine by himself but I've also heard that he's needs others. I don't know the first thing about introducing a new one to him since he's been alone for so long.

Rembaud

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Bpatters gave you some good advuce about allergies :)

I've found that I'm allergic to timothy hay, and not my pigs. I do get a little sneezy when I somehow get fur up my nose, but by changing my clothes after handling them and washing my hands, it's pretty much a non-issue :)

Good luck and welcome again!

skittles3024

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum. Marshmallow is really cute :) and I definitely recommend getting him a friend. I got my girl a friend and she is so much happier now! She was before too but you can really see a difference. Plus it's so much fun to watch guines pigs interact with one another :)

ashl3ym0n3t

Cavy Slave
I have one of those starter kit cages. I'm concerned about bot having the space for a bigger cage though. Especially for the classroom since that where he spends most of his week. He comes home with me on the weekends and holidays/breaks. Should I invest in the bigger cage first and then the second pig or the second pig first and then the cage? I'm concerned about him being lonely or bored.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Definitely get the larger cage first, it helps to alleviate potential fighting. Marsh is absolutely adorable! I am allergic to every animal with fur, except guinea pigs. I am allergic to timothy hay so if they have been grazing in it and then I hold them and come into contact wherever they have hay dust on them I break out in an itchy rash. Welcome to the forum!

ashl3ym0n3t

Cavy Slave
I'm really hoping it's the hay because I love my little guy so much. I was thinking about getting a different breed just in case. Do you guys think that matters, if there are different breeds together? Do that affect how they get along?

Rywen

Cavy Slave
You can have different breeds together, the piggies don't care. Whether they get along or not all depends on their personalities.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
hi and welcome :d

GuineaPigParty

Cavy Slave
I am allergic to timothy hay as well. What I have found that works is switching to orchard grass by Oxbow and washing your hands after. Marshmallow looks super sweet with that white coat.

ashl3ym0n3t

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone for all the replies. Like I said earlier, everyone seems super helpful here! I'm trying to find the best type of cage for him and I'm going to check out that orchard grass. Should I touch base with his vet first before changing his diet like that?

GuineaPigParty

Cavy Slave
Going to the vet will not be necessary for changing his diet. It is kind of like changing a dog's food... Just add a little bit of the new food to the older food. :)

ashl3ym0n3t

Cavy Slave
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411839228.353755.jpg Floor time in his room! I feel like I do floor time wrong. He was popcorning his life away and I think he tired himself out. Should I be doing something special during floor time?he just runs away from me.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
That sounds like good floor time to me, it's exercise time. If you aren't already try sitting on the floor while Marsh is having floor time and offer him veggies. Some pigs like to play around and stop to munch veggies during floor time.

PibbleLover

Cavy Slave
Marshmallow is a darling! :)

ashl3ym0n3t

Cavy Slave
Thank you. He's getting bigger and its killing me inside. I give him treats during floor time but he seems to only care when I put them down. Should I have "obstacle courses" or things for him to jump over?

PibbleLover

Cavy Slave
Thank you. He's getting bigger and its killing me inside. I give him treats during floor time but he seems to only care when I put them down. Should I have "obstacle courses" or things for him to jump over?

I'm not expert (we just lost our first, Scotty, who was 2/12 -- and are now on the journey with information from this wonderful forum). That being said: Scotty LOVED floor time. I'd put a blanket down (with caging) and let him go. He loved climbing through things (we had an Alfalfa tunnel, boxes, etc) and going crazy. :) We had a couple of ramps but he didn't use them much. Mostly he just ran around and hopped (popcorned is the term, I believe). He had at least an hour a day (while doing laundry, I let him scurry about) and I'd make sure to provide treats during that time.

This being said: we only had the one (I wasn't aware two was usually the best way to keep them happy) but he had four children, a dog, and myself to keep him company through the day.

ashl3ym0n3t

Cavy Slave
Just introduced Marshmallow to his new friend!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.