PDA

View Full Version : Stand for a 3x6.

DocDolittle
10-02-05, 09:03 pm
I've decided to make one 3x6 cage with a hayloft but I need it elevated as A) we have two dogs and B) they live in our basement( don't worry, it's heated, temperature controlled, finished, and well-lit. I also spend most of my day down there and they couldn't live upstairs because my mother runs a daycare) which, very rarely, but on occassion, may flood. So, I want to elevate it at least 4 feet. I was thinking of using grids to elevate it, but I'm unsure. Would they be sturdy enough?

Percy's Mom
10-02-05, 10:02 pm
I would think they would be. Make a solid base of cube grids (18 grids), and rows 3 grids wide at each junction and end. Another 18 grid top with the actual walls of your cage sticking up from that and set the coroplast tray inside. The base part will have 6 tunnels going from front to back that you can store supplies in either for the guinea pigs or hiding places for your own personal stuff. I'm building one almost exactly like this myself. Mine is slightly narrower though. It's only a 2X6.

DocDolittle
10-03-05, 05:32 am
I was thinking of something just like that, but it's such a pain in the butt as I'll be buying three boxes of grids just for the base!

Sabriel
10-03-05, 08:20 am
I just have to let you know a 3 grid wide cage is really wide. I don't know how I could do anything in mine if it wasn't on the floor. That being said, maybe you can get a step stool?

But if the grid stand works then it's good to know about my options. I have a 3X6 with a loft too :)

DocDolittle
10-03-05, 09:16 am
I know, but I decided to make it that big so that the boys don't have to get so squished when passing each other. Hopefully I'll be able to reach them! :) I figure when i use fleece I can just toss a towel over him and 'rope 'em in'!

Percy's Mom
10-03-05, 09:45 am
Yeah, I guess 75 grids (57 base + 18 cage walls) is quite a bit. Looks like it would be 4 boxes for the whole thing if you did it that way, so $60-70 for the grids, then depending how much coroplast costs in your area, you'd need 2 sheets of that. I'm guessing $100-120 for the whole cage. Still though, I was in a farm supply store the other day and saw a dog kennel with a pretty deep tray that was less than half the space of a 3X6, and it cost more than twice as much.

amyjane
10-03-05, 01:43 pm
I've always used tables for Pippin's cage (and its many remodels). For what you would spend on the the grids to construct a base, you could just buy a folding table at Walmart or Target.

DaCourt
10-03-05, 02:59 pm
You can take short cuts. It will all depend on where in the room it will be situated. Will it be in a corner, or just up against a wall? If it is in a corner, then the 2 walls will help support it. Let's see if I can do this...

_l_l_
_l_l_
_l l

You also don't have to have a solid bottom under the coro. When we had our 2x4 on a grid stand, I only put 2 grids on either end under the coro. Does that make sense? Here is what you could do. The X's are grids. The other grids that are parallel to the floor will also help support it.

Xl_lX
_l_l_
Xl lX

DocDolittle
10-03-05, 03:08 pm
Yeah, I guess 75 grids (57 base + 18 cage walls) is quite a bit. Looks like it would be 4 boxes for the whole thing if you did it that way, so $60-70 for the grids, then depending how much coroplast costs in your area, you'd need 2 sheets of that. I'm guessing $100-120 for the whole cage. Still though, I was in a farm supply store the other day and saw a dog kennel with a pretty deep tray that was less than half the space of a 3X6, and it cost more than twice as much.

Well, I've already got two boxes of grids, so I'd only need two more( $30) and one shet of coroplast ( 8x4 feet) costs about seven dollars( we get a discount cause it's for the piggles) and I'll need two(14) so really, it shouldn't cost much. Also, just a question, where'd you get 75 grids? I got 90 last time I checked.. Oh well.

Sabriel
10-03-05, 04:07 pm
If you use fleece you can get away with one sheet of coro for a 3X6. My sides are only 3" but I kinda like that better. I see more of the pigs that way. Lina is so short that if I made the sides 6" I'd never see her. She wouldn't be able to reach the water bottle or hay rack. She has to stretch enough with her loft's 4" sides.

Ly&Pigs
10-03-05, 05:15 pm
My cage is 3x4 (soon to be expanded again) and I wouldn't be able to clean it if it were on a table or stand because I am so short. I also have 3" sides due to using fleece.

aqh88
10-03-05, 08:49 pm
I considered making mine 3grids wide but the only way to do that would be to pull the cage away from the wall enough I can reach it from the other side. Even standing on a ladder I wouldn't be able to lean that far long enough to clean the whole cage.