Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My 1 lone guini is not running around at "floor time!&q

R

Rica Chica

My 1 lone guini is not running around at "floor time!&q

i give my 1 guini a lot of floor time, with newspapaers, lunch bage, tennis balls. tolitet paper rolls, and some hay to muchie on. but when i put him down, all he does is run into the lunch bag and sit there. he gets more exercise in his cage!!! i site there with him, doing my homework, but he won't "interact" with me!!! HELP!!! *also don't say get anthor gini pig, because my parents siad i can't:( *

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Re: My 1 lone guini is not running around at "floor tim

How long have you been doing this?

C

cavygurl2001

floor timw

Hey,

It took about 2 weeks for my first piggy to stop hiding during floor time. I would put fresh light veggies like parsley or spinach near the bag and severl spots farhter away to get her to come out. Now she zooms around but sh sometimes likes to sit behind me or in her hide a way.

P.S I got another baby 3 weeks ago and she just followed her big "sisters lead" someitme the run and sometimes thye just sit and relax. I also realized that we don't realy know who much running they do whenwe are not with time.

Patience is the key and fresh treats can really help.

P

Piggie

Don't worry!

Cavies are such nervous creatures and have to spend their whole life in the wild escaping from predators as they have no means of defence. It will take them a while to sniff out the area and realise that it is safe. It was the same with mine but now they are mad. With patience it will sort itself out. Good luck!
Love Piggiexx

SuperCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Re: Don't worry!

Rica,
Do everything you can do to get your paren'ts to adopt you another cavy. He will be much more happier to "chat" with someone of his own breed.

R

Raxia

Re: Don't worry!

I actually had the same problem with my own GP this week, although she's three years old, I never really gave her floor time cause my mother didnt want me to. I did (when my mother was out lol) and she was really scared and sitting in a corner. So I grabbed her again and had her sit on my lap for about 30 minutes. When she was really relaxed and cuddled up on the couch I put her back on the floor and within two minutes she was investigating like there was no tomorrow :)
It also helps to imitate happy GP sounds at her :)

L

Lizzyrd

helpers

When I first got my gps I used playpens in the middle of the livingroom floor. They hated it. So I put them in the bathroom and blocked the doorway with one of the playpens. At first they hid behind the toilet all the time. I turned off the light and just let light from the living room fall into the bathroom and out they came. My computer is almost right in front of the bathroom door so I can watch from here and they can see me.

It took time for them to get used to it but soon they where running around the bathroom like crazies. In the beginning they would dash back behind the toilet whenever I moved but they eventually became more comfortable with that too.

suepoo

Cavy Slave
Re: My 1 lone guini is not running around at "floor time!&q

my male pig is like that to he lost his cage mate to a relley bad long sickness and will not play at all so i have dessied to get a pig friend for him i am not going to a pet store i am giving a pig named jack a new home soon!

TinaFabulous
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Piglet

Cavy Slave

It will probably take some time for him, since he doesn't have a companion. Not to sound harsh, but if you knew that you could only get one then why did you buy a guinea pig?

loves2travel

Cavy Slave

hey guys? this thread is two years old.

TinaFabulous
TinaFabulous

suepoo

Cavy Slave

hey i said his friend patches died and he will not run! im getting a new friend from a lady that cant keep him

Auzziefreak

Cavy Slave

Piglet said:
It will probably take some time for him, since he doesn't have a companion. Not to sound harsh, but if you knew that you could only get one then why did you buy a guinea pig?
Because no where in a manual does it say that you can't buy a guinea pig if there is only going to be one. I understand wht you are saying, but lots of people buy guinea pigs on impulse, or don't understand that they are very social and it works better with two.

TinaFabulous

citronsoul

Cavy Slave

I do floortime with Phoebe. She only runs around if I'm there. If I leave the room she'll hide in a corner & start wheeking. Or if I'm not sitting on the floor, she wheeks too. So I usually take some stuff to read or school work with me, sit on the floor & let her run around me. :)

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave

My piggie investigates around the walls and hides behind the toilet (I do it in the bathroom). She wont let me catch her afterward.

Cavies4eva
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.