Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Removing the loft

Flowering

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone

After experimenting with many different c&c designs I've decided to remove the loft. Yes my piggys happily go up and down but if I didn't put all their food up there they would never bother going upstairs. I've also found some piggys love to live in the loft just to be close to the food whilst others spend hours foraging for food downstairs and then eventually realise there is nothing there and decide to go upstairs.

I do realise that piggys love to forage through their bedding for food as well as jump through the hay and use it to hide and play. Last night I tried them out in a cage with everything on ground level and they loved it. I've never seen them eat and drink so much.

So even though I love the loft and think it looks so cute and it also gives them some adventure and a new place to be as well as an extra escape from one another I feel like they would be happier to forage downstairs that have everything packed neatly in the loft area. Today I'm taking the loft away and letting them run through hay once again.

KaLeigh

Cavy Slave
Sounds like a good plan. Keep us posted

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
I tried a loft for 24 hours and it wasn't for me. I have a 3x4 c&c cage and I attempted to make a 1x2 loft and it just didn't work out. The pigs went up only for food but really didn't like it. As cute as they are I much rather prefer my single level cage with no "attachments."

Nothing beats the mess my boys make when their hay box is topped off. Yeah, it's messy and it's a pain to clean, but I know they love it and for me it beats the cleaning process. I think you will be very pleased! Keep us posted!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.