PDA

View Full Version : Fleece Washed, but not wicking

Wolfess221
09-03-14, 08:03 am
I have a bunch of fleece that I purchased for my piggies' bedding and have washed them 5 times, but they're still not wicking the water away; it's just pooling on top. All of them are Polar fleece and 100% polyester. What am I doing wrong :confused:

bpatters
09-03-14, 08:15 am
Polar's not the greatest fleece for bedding, but it can be made to work. Are you washing in hot water? With detergent? And bleach? What happens if you turn it over and try wicking from the other direction?

Wolfess221
09-03-14, 08:40 am
They're being washed in cold water with detergent, no bleach and in the dryer with no bounce sheets. I'm going to try soaking them in warm water with vinegar; would that give me a better chance?

bpatters
09-03-14, 08:52 am
If it were me, I'd do hot water, detergent, and bleach. What you're trying to do is strip the protective layer off the fleece, and harsh is better than gentle. I have no idea whether vinegar will affect that layer or not. You could always pour some directly on a corner of the fleece, let it sit a while, rinse and dry it and see what happens. Fleece is pretty indestructible, so it's not likely to harm it.

Wolfess221
09-03-14, 09:52 am
Okay, I'm going to do a load tonight. How much bleach do you recommend, and will it strip the color?

bpatters
09-03-14, 10:11 am
No, it won't strip the color. I don't know how much, I just fill the bleach cup on my machine.

Wolfess221
09-03-14, 05:21 pm
I just re-read the post Fleece: The Study, and polar fleece is listed beside anti-pill as a common and good fleece to use. Has that changed since that was posted?

bpatters
09-03-14, 06:23 pm
I don't know. It was in that thread that I read that Polar wasn't the best.