Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lump Pictures of encapsulated abscess removal

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Background - My boy Theodore had an abscess on his shoulder in mid 2013 when he was just over one year old, the abscess began forming three weeks after the scab fell off of the initial injury, which was caused by a small bite wound inflicted by a cage mate which I thought had healed well until a small lump started forming three weeks later. I found the lump when it was less then 1 cm in size, the vet recommended monitoring it and if it increased in size rapidly then to bring him in to have it removed.

Two weeks passed with slow growth then in a 24 hour period it doubled in size so a vet appointment was made to get it removed the next day. The vet used a needle to puncture the skin then squeezed on the lump to get some pus to confirm it was in fact an abscess like expected. I talked to the vet about the options, given that the location had a lot of loose skin and the easier after surgery care I chose to have it removed encapsulated. The vet asked if she could take some pictures of the procedure and I gave my permission (of course I asked for copies of the pictures).

Theodore came through the surgery very well, he was closed up with some dissolve-able stitches in the bottom layer of the skin with the top layer glued together so the stitches were covered (so he couldn't bite at them, and they wouldn't need to be removed). He was also given an oral antibiotic (baytril) which cased him to lose a bit of his appetite but his weight stayed moderately stable. His wound healed very well, the stitches took a few months to fully dissolve but they never bothered him.

Pictures - I was just now going through the pictures on my computer only to find a bunch of pictures the vet's send of of Theo's surgery that I had intended to share here (oops!). Apparently I entirely forgot about it but now one year later here they are.

The shaven area and lump pre-op - 942503_532737293440241_2023175068_n.jpg
Area after abscess removal - 942425_532737290106908_2096285809_n edit.jpg
Theodore all stitched up after surgery complete but still sedated-936707_532737370106900_318304773_n edit.jpg
The abscess - 431902_532737310106906_1160943811_n edit.jpg
The abscess cut open to show the pus inside - 431872_532737356773568_1437279060_n edit.jpg

Last edited:

lost_lover

Cavy Slave
This post was very helpful to me today, thank you for posting it...even if I was a little nervous and squeamish to look at it.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc It was both oxygen and the aesthetic in gas form, my vet chose to use the inhale-able anaesthetic so she could have more control over how deep he went under.

The oxygen and aesthetic where able to be controlled independently of each other and I assume that at the point the last photo was taken they where probably lowering the amounts of aesthetic so he could begin to wake up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.