Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Infected anal sac, please help us out!

lost_lover

Cavy Slave
I was cleaning up my two boys tonight and found out that Nacho has an infection in his anal sac. Since neither of them mark much and are on fleece I do not clean the area super often.

As expected Taco just needed a little bit of cleaning, quick and easy. Nacho was surprisingly dirty. There were several chunks to clean out. The best way to describe what I found was what I would consider a whitehead if I had seen it on someone's face. When even the slightest amount of pressure was applied a completely opaque white liquid pus came out, and a lot of it.

He does not seem to be in any discomfort, there is no swelling or redness. The area does not feel warm. The pus being white also seems like a good sign. I am still worried since I know how quickly something small can turn into something big with these little guys.

I can get him to the vet in the morning if that is the best course of action. At the very least I will be calling the vet in the morning. It is 2:30am here so I do need to wait until tomorrow.

Do I need to separate him from Taco? I don't want to put any type of antiseptic that is going to irritate him on such a sensitive area. Do you think a triple antibiotic ointment (Neosporin) would be safe/helpful?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I would wait until you can get him into the vet, but leave him in with his cage mate. If it is infectious Taco has already been exposed so separating would be pointless.

If you were to apply the cream I would think there is a very high chance of him ingesting some given where the infected area is located, especially when he goes to eat his cecal poops.

lost_lover

Cavy Slave
The vet opens in like 15 minutes, going to give them a call then. I am kind of wondering if I was over reacting, it was a while back now but I am still sensitive I over losing Truffle.

Went to feed them this morning and they were both there super energetic, acting like they had not seen food in days, selfs. I picked up Nacho, applied a little pressure to the general area and he did not indicate any discomfort. There is still no redness or swelling.

He was just so dirty yesterday I could not believe it. With no redness or swelling and the puss being white (all I did was give the area a push with a q-tip, did not break any skin when it came out) maybe I should not have jumped straight to infection.

Still calling the vet in a few minutes though. After this scare I would really like to get them both in to get looked at since I am moving soon and want to make sure they are in top health for the stress of it all.

Normally I have money for vet visits set aside, my dog and two cats have chronic conditions so I never know when something will require an emergency visit. I am just still financially recovering from what totaled around $7,000 (including the rental car) in repairs to my car, and now I have this unexpected move I need to save as much as I can for.

If they need to go into the vet today or later this week though they will go, I will make it work.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Normally guinea pig (and bird) pus is very thick because they lack the enzyme in there blood necessary to break down pus (which is why abscesses are so much more common and difficult to manage on guinea pigs and birds when compared to other animals).

I still think it is worth a vet check-up though as it does sound quite out of the the ordinary, also a good idea to get a general health check before moving. Also in my opinion peace of mind is normally always worth the consultation fee.

lost_lover

Cavy Slave
Ok, so I am just going to step up my watching of Nacho for anything even slightly off. No Netflix after work today, watching the boys. Then this Monday they both have appointments to go in.

There was no way for me to get Nacho in before then without me having to miss work. If he was acting at all off, or does change his behavior in any way, I will just have to miss work. Unfortunately my boss, who is the only person who can cover my shift (I am the assistant manager) is on vacation so it is a real issue if I do not make it in.

I will update if there is any out of the ordinary behavior. Hopefully nothing to worry about comes up and I will just update after the vet visit.

I knew I should have bought one of those nanny cams so I could watch them while I am not home. After I move I really think I should set up those cheap surveillance cameras that you can watch from your phone around the place. Be able to watch everyone while I am not home...and maybe on outside the front door for when I am home.

lost_lover

Cavy Slave
Normally guinea pig (and bird) pus is very thick because they lack the enzyme in there blood necessary to break down pus (which is why abscesses are so much more common and difficult to manage on guinea pigs and birds when compared to other animals).

I still think it is worth a vet check-up though as it does sound quite out of the the ordinary, also a good idea to get a general health check before moving. Also in my opinion peace of mind is normally always worth the consultation fee.

Hmmm, this was not much thicker than water. Maybe later today, but right now I do not think I can handle googling articles/photos/videos on that particular topic. Who knows what will show up on my search during the process.

I know it is completely a false sense of security but my cat Nimubs is usually really intuitive if anyone in the house is not doing well. He even stayed in bed with me the whole rest of the night earlier this week after I woke up from a bad dream. Near the end with Truffle he was a little guard cat around his cage, and usually knows when my puppy is having tummy issues before I do. He has not seemed concerned about the piggies.

It is slightly amusing because Nimbus was born almost completely blind, while I think he is beautiful I have had a few friends who cannot even look at his face because of his eyes. He is the most clumsy cat I have ever seen, his brother also cannot see much but is much less clumsy and unusual looking. So what he lacks in sight he makes up for in other ways.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto Soecara. It doesn't sound like pus, which is thick and cheesy and incredibly smelly. But it does sound unusual, and therefore worth checking out.

Be sure to let us know what the vet says.

lost_lover

Cavy Slave
So far he is doing great. When I got home from work I gave them their veggies and watched them for a while. Nacho is acting completely normal. I sat with him on my lap for a bit while checking over every inch on him as well. There is still no redness or swelling, and he does not seem tender in and areas.

I was so happy when I got home and saw everyone acting normal. Usually my friend around the corner can stop in and check on any of my pets while I am at work since they get out of work like four hours before me but they are busy this weekend.

I still have the appointment for Monday. Even though I think I massively over reacted (nothing new about that) I really want to get them in for wellness checkups. If everyone is still looking 100% early Monday I might postpone the visit though. I feel awful about considering it, but like I have mentioned all my emergency money got wiped out from a series of emergencies :( . I can make it work if I need to though, there is always a backup plan and my little boys are part of my family.

lost_lover

Cavy Slave
We ended up not going to the vet since there has been zero change in behavior/weight/appetite in my little Nacho. I thought he was puffing himself up last night but it was just the angle he was eating his lettuce.

We are currently chilling on the couch with a carrot. I think he is confused why he has been getting some much extra attention the last few days. I guess if anything is off about him is he a whole lot more comfortable with getting picked up. He is still active around the cage, just less squirmy when I pick him up.

Still watching him really close, although I hope my hovering does not stress him and Taco does not feel left out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.