Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites A question about lice

Christelle

Cavy Slave
Hi everybody

I bought a baby guinea pig named Lucy last friday. Unfortunately i noticed some lice (is it the right term? sorry i'm french ^.^) on her and brought her back. They did a shampoo (on both of my piggies) and I cleaned the whole cage. I looked later that day and it doesn't seem to have anything left. However she still scratches herself sometimes, it is because of the bites she already got?

I just want her to be okay !!!

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
You can treat her topically with Ivermectin or Revolution to fully rid of the lice. I don't think shampoo alone gets rid of them completely.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Are you sure it's lice, or is it mites? Mites are much more common than lice, but neither of them should be treated with a shampoo. You need to do 2 treatments of Ivermectin for mites, or use Advantage for lice. https://www.guinealynx.info/parasites.html

Christelle

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry it wasn't a regular shampoo, it was a special one for mites (yes its more likely mites), but I don't know the name of the product they used

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Shampoo is not recommended to treat mites, even if it's supposed to be a special mites shampoo. Ivermectin or Revolution are the best options.

Christelle

Cavy Slave
I'm from Canada i'm not sure we have that product here... maybe something equivalent I'd have to check... in the US do you get it at the vet or a pet shop? Are you 100% positive that she still has mites even if I can't see anything?

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Even if she doesn't still have mites, it won't hurt her to treat her for them. And if she only got the shampoo, it's almost certain that she still has whatever she had before. Where did you get her from? When you took her back to get the shampoo, was it an actual vet who did it? You should take her to a good exotic vet (not a regular vet) that has a lot of experience with guinea pigs.

Christelle

Cavy Slave
It was at the pet shop, so I'll call a vet who specializes with guinea pigs tomorrow to see what they tell me and talk to them about Ivermectin. Thank you!

Momto3boys

Cavy Slave
I'm from Canada i'm not sure we have that product here... maybe something equivalent I'd have to check... in the US do you get it at the vet or a pet shop? Are you 100% positive that she still has mites even if I can't see anything?

We most definitely have Ivermectin and Revolution here ;)

You can get Ivermectin at most farm supplies stores and you can get revolution from any vet office.

Christelle

Cavy Slave
We most definitely have Ivermectin and Revolution here ;)

You can get Ivermectin at most farm supplies stores and you can get revolution from any vet office.

Thank you <3

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Shampoo would make mites worse. For lice it would be fine. Mites are microscopic, lice can be seen with your eyes. Your vet will probably give you Revolution for either. Don't let the vet do a skin scrapping, it's a waste of money , painful and usually gives you no answers.

Christelle

Cavy Slave
you're right i could see them, they were really small but still!

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
you're right i could see them, they were really small but still!

Probably lice then! My girls had lice. I put one under a microscope to confirm it! Lol. I used Ivermectin and after a few treatments, no more lice. And don't worry, I believe these type of lice will not infect you.

Christelle

Cavy Slave
Yeah! I'll try to find that product tomorrow thanks for the great advice

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.