Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Cost of c c cage

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
I am going to be making a c&c cage for my piggies and I was wondering how much it would cost to make a 2x6 cage:confused:

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
I got a 4'x8' sheet of coro from a local sign shop for $15 and a box of grids for $23 so my 2x4 cage cost $38 (I could have made a 2x6 with a 4x8 ft. sheet, but I don't have the room). Depending on the stores you have available, coroplast could cost as much as $30 and grids about $20-$25 in-store. (Make sure you get the grids that are 9 squares by 9 squares, as both 5x5 and 8x8 squares are unsafe).

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
My 2x4 cost me only $55 to build before I made the loft. But it also depends where you live and where you buy. For instance I got my grids from bed bath and beyond and Amazon.com. Then the coroplast came from a sign shop. But home depot has it for cheaper.

HollyH8

Cavy Slave
I just made a 2x6 C&C cage and this is how much it cost me.

Coroplast (Got two 72"x36" sheets from Home Depot): $30 for both.

Grids: I know on sears.com you can get 23 grids for about $20 I happened to get lucky at a garage sale and found ton of them for $5.

My entire cage plus a two grid high stand and a cavy cafe cost me $35. But if you can't find grids any cheaper you're looking at spending roughly $50, just for the cage.

wheeklink

Cavy Slave
I just expanded my two (initial) Midwests to accommodate my two rescue boars as they had become rather lazy/lying around a good bit and showing little interest in things (healthy, eating well, just not real active, the one in particular who had developed bloat due to inactivity). The boars have to be separated most of the time and have their own spaces, but I wanted also a "neutral space", where they could and have a good time together. And I wanted separate kitchens to facilitate cleaning and keep it less stinky. As long as their food and beds aren't in the same sharable space, they won't argue..."as much". Those territorial areas have to be separated rigorously (current coroplast/cardboard not working - I had hitched the two Midwests together, so a grid will have to be used between the two because they butted right through that like little bulls, so they could argue). I have to say, it has been a nightmare experience expanding the cage and designing/building so far, and I am not happy with the results, which comprise nothing less than more, and more-difficult-to-access, space to clean. My box cutter knife broke during the project and I had to get a new one, a normal spring-loaded sturdy knife, which was about 14 bucks or so, I forget, but it was sturdy enough to deal with all the stuff I needed to fiddle with and the standard box cutter thing wasn't. The cheaper one just broke on it. I had some strong racking which I got for $6 from a local thrift store. I made a hay-play "den downstairs" out of this racking. It needed degreasing (why it was so cheap) so I did need to buy degreaser. I think it was 3 or 4 bucks. The racking needed to be enclosed, so I added storage grids for this. The Midwests went on top of this. I had grand designs of making a 3-story condo for the guys and had gotten two 6-cube storage units (30 apiece = 60) (coroplast about 18.70 apiece, but I had to buy 6 sheets, I bought a couple extra in case I made mistakes and in case I wanted to change the configuration later) with 3 homemade fleece flippers apiece (1 in, 1 out and 1 in the wash for each boy). So 8 bucks for each U-Haul pad = 40-something and a roll of blizzard fleece yardage on sale for about 3 bucks a yard, which came to about 30-something. I have not sewn these yet because I need to wash all the material 3-4 times, and the laundromat is going to cost a heap to wash all that, and I have already put out for all the materials and am pretty much skint, burnt out, and irritated with it all. I got pine pellets for kitchen area (about 6-7 bucks a bag). And extra hay for their hayplay common area downstairs. I have materials left over and have not done the 3rd floor yet because I don't like it so far and might change it. It all needs to be covered up due to cats in the house, which complicates matters. The connectors for the cube storage and the cable ties are both really awful and fiddly for my fingers (I have arthritis and bad eyes) so opening/closing/access to the configuration (simple upstairs, simple downstairs with L-shape and ramp)to extract the boys or clean is really hard for me and I have to say this is not working. I am not sure what to do now but I am exhausted and at the end of my rope. What I really needed was to get two very big and simple cages (like Midwest but integral connected cage top and much sturdier) with big, easy to open doors, and a long long workbench to put these on. And just BUY the fleece flippers already prewashed and sewn. That would have been the best solution for me. Instead I had to source everything and do everything myself and wound up mucking it up royally and wiping myself out and ending up with a product I didn't like. I am not sure what to do next. I think the first thing is to put walls on either side of the ramp, but first attempt did not work out. I wish I could push reverse button and redo everything, keeping my limitations in mind and keeping it simpler. So keep in mind your own capabilities and other preferences and issues (like for me, bending and stooping and reaching, and bad eyes, what is your budget, do you have a washing machine, do you have a sewing machine or can you get the clips to work for you, how good are you at measuring, do the pigs get along, etc.). I have ended up with a bodge job that just did not work out, despite having all good intentions. If I had just bought certain particular simple things from the very beginning, it would have worked out way better for me. Now I have a cobbled-together mess with way more work and just as much stink as before - and empty wallet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.