Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing Luna and Nelly !! :)

squishypiggies

Cavy Slave
LOONU.jpgloooon.jpgnellyo.jpgnnnnn.jpg

I FINALLY got my first ever pet piggies !! I adopted them on 30th July 2014 so I have only had them a few weeks. They are both female and are called Nelly and Luna
The age of them is unknown but they are believed to be around 1 year old
I also don't know the breed so if you have any ideas please let me know, Luna the one with a full brown face(first two pictures) has a thicker and slightly longer coat than Nelly ( the one with brown black ad white face, 3rd and 4th pictures ).
They live happily in a 5x2 c&c cage on fleece. I see them popcorning every morning ^-^

I don't think their previous owner cut their nails so I have cut Luna's but I cant even et close to cutting Nelly's , she is very skittish and wont let me stroke or hold her. Lunas also skittish but I can hold her.
They are both very healthy piggy ^_^

If you guys have any tips for first time owners that would be great!

squishypiggies

Cavy Slave
sorry for any spelling mistakes , my keyboard isn't working properly

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
They look like American short hairs to me. Thank you for adopting it sounds they found the perfect home. Guinea pigs are naturally skiddish and some may never get used to being picked up. My Cinna doesn't like being touched as well untill he's outside the cage. You could try picking them up with a cuddle sack. Or even try the piggy elevator.

Take a good size box doesn't have to be to big just enough to fit one guinea pig. Cut a hole in one of the sides but leaving a flap so you can close it. Then just place a towel down and to make it more enticing you can add some veggies. Then just shoo or wait for one to go inside. Then you just close the flap and pick up the box with pig in tow :). I hope this helped.

And welcome to the forum.

squishypiggies

Cavy Slave
They look like American short hairs to me. Thank you for adopting it sounds they found the perfect home. Guinea pigs are naturally skiddish and some may never get used to being picked up. My Cinna doesn't like being touched as well untill he's outside the cage. You could try picking them up with a cuddle sack. Or even try the piggy elevator.

Take a good size box doesn't have to be to big just enough to fit one guinea pig. Cut a hole in one of the sides but leaving a flap so you can close it. Then just place a towel down and to make it more enticing you can add some veggies. Then just shoo or wait for one to go inside. Then you just close the flap and pick up the box with pig in tow :). I hope this helped.

And welcome to the forum.

Thank you ! I have tried with a cuddle sack and it works fine with Luna but Nelly just runs away at everything , I guess Ijust need to be patient and carry on trying :)

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I would try the elevator I've found it to work much better and its less stressful for them as well as for you :). Alot of people have found it to work like a charm.

squishypiggies

Cavy Slave
I would try the elevator I've found it to work much better and its less stressful for them as well as for you :). Alot of people have found it to work like a charm.

What is the elevator? I haven't heard of that before ;3

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I told you in my first post.
Piggy elevator:

Take a good size box doesn't have to be to big just big enough for one pig (but big enough for them to turn around). Cut a hole in one of the sides leaving a flap so you can close it. Then just place a towel or blanket inside. And to make it more enticing you can add some veggies. Then just shoo or wait for one to go inside. Then just close the flap and pick up the box with pig in tow.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I've been using 2 cuddle sacks to catch mine, if you corner them between 2 cuddle sacks they will run into one of them.

squishypiggies

Cavy Slave
I told you in my first post.
Piggy elevator:

Take a good size box doesn't have to be to big just big enough for one pig (but big enough for them to turn around). Cut a hole in one of the sides leaving a flap so you can close it. Then just place a towel or blanket inside. And to make it more enticing you can add some veggies. Then just shoo or wait for one to go inside. Then just close the flap and pick up the box with pig in tow.
oh yes sorry you did >.< thank you though , I will definitely try that !

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
hello and welcome :D
the names you have for your pigs are fantastic...

Guinealea

Cavy Slave
They are so cute! You really got some excellent pictures considering they are so skittish!

SativaFlower

Cavy Gazer
Welcome! Your guinea pigs are beautiful :love: I'm basically a new guinea pig owner myself so my advice would be... be gentle & loving! I heard guinea pigs love soft voices :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.