Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introducing my piggies and me!

Cosmic

Cavy Slave
Hey all!
I'm Cosmic. I'm new to the forum but not new to piggie caring. I have two wonderful guinea pigs that I got in 2010. Mocha is 4 1/2 years old (DoB ~ March 4, 2010). She is a brown and black Silkie sow. Pistachio is 3 3/4 years old (DoB ~ November 4, 2010). Lilac, orange/brown and white female American with red eyes. They're in a 2x3 C&C cage. I wish I could put them in a 2x4 but being 14, my dad won't let me expand since we live in an apartment. I use exactly half a bag, though, so I guess it works.

This forum has been a great source of information, and now I can get personalized answers for things I can't find online.

(in the picture of Mocha, I still had to finish up a bit of hair trimming)
image.jpgimage.jpg
Sorry they're sideways, now I know I need to take landscape pictures on my iPod.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Cosmic

Cavy Slave
Thanks! See you around!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome! You've got some really gorgeous piggies! My girls are Daisy and Minnie, two himi American sows :)

Do you think your dad would let you put a loft on your cage? While lofts aren't generally counted toward square footage/space requirements, I think it would be worth a shot to see if your girls would use a ramp/loft so they could get some alone time. If they liked the ramp, you could even go for a whole second level.

I think it's worth bearing in mind though, that if they show little-to-no interest, then taking it out would be best, because then the ramp would just be taking up space on your bottom level meaning they had less space than to begin with.

Cosmic

Cavy Slave
First off, let me say I absolutely adore Himalayans!

I used to have a grid in the corner like a second level but zip tied in the middle of the vertical grids (if that makes any sense). We didn't have any more grids so that was all we could do. They just jumped up and down and ignored the ramp we had at the beginning. I was hoping to maybe use an old pet store cage (about the size of a 1x2) as a second level and kitchen area, but if it were over the cage I'd have troubles getting to the piggies to get them out (they always run), and if it were a second level but off to the side (if you get what I mean, like not directly above the cage) then I don't have anything to put it on.

I'll be trying to convince my dad in maybe a few weeks, because I haven't been spending too much time with the pigs lately so I need to show him that I really care a lot (which I do, but like I said, my piggies run so much when I'm trying to take them out and one of them bites!).

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
You could make the upper deck removable like I did. I just have my loft resting on top of some wooden dowels. So I can just lift it up.

Try not picking them up from the back and let them know your there first. Or some of us even use cuddle cups or a towel to pick them up. You could also try the piggy elevator.

Cosmic

Cavy Slave
I've thought about a removable top part, maybe I can do that.

I've tried so many things with them to try and pick them up. The one that bites only does so when I show her my hands and try to pick her up gently like that. I pick her up briskly yet gently, and she does know that I'm going to pick her up. The other one, I can coax into a corner and pick her up slowly. I've tried the elevator way, but since I don't have cuddle cups or cozies, I have to flip their house over and then they don't want to go in it. Well, whichever way I do it, I always make sure that I'm gentle.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have a biter too! Picking her up is a nightmare, because even trying to shoo her in to a snuggle sack doesn't work. She either jumps over it, or turns round and nips me. It works best for me if I can shoo her in to a corner then flip their fiddlesticks bridge on it's side like a barrier, and pick her up from in there because she can't run anywhere.

Cosmic

Cavy Slave
My piggy will just bite if you try to pick her up in the cage slowly. Briskly and gently seems the only way to go with her. When I set them out to run, they're okay with being picked up. They still run around, but just because they don't want to go back! On my lap, they're totally fine with it.

Cosmic

Cavy Slave
Haha, almost! I was on Petfinder and there were two guinea pigs that looked like Pistachio, almost exactly! One was named Rudolph and the other was called either Uno or Dos (Uno and Dos were pretty similar, one of them was closer in pattern, I just can't remember which).

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum! Your piggies are adorable!

Cosmic

Cavy Slave

kaitlynsara06

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! Love your little piggies!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.