Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty One bulging eye , one normal eye

Kibba

Cavy Gazer
We have a four month old guinea pig and I noticed one eye bulges out of her head noticeably more then the other. Both eyes are clear and look normal otherwise. Could his be an underlaying medical condition ? Or maybe just bad breeding/inbreeding?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's probably an indication that something is going on underneath the eyeball -- elongated tooth root, tumor under the eye, abscess in the top jaw, whatever. She needs to be seen by a good exotic vet.

SomethingFunny

Cavy Slave
I second what bpatters said. I would get her checked out sooner rather than later, many of those conditions will cause permanent blindness (or worse) if they go untreated for too long. Good luck to you, I hope it doesn't turn out to be too serious.

PiggyLover357

Cavy Gazer
Bulging eyes can indicate dental problems... On the side that is bulging that could mean that the teeth are overgrown

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Bulging eyes can indicate dental problems... On the side that is bulging that could mean that the teeth are overgrown

That isn't entirely true, for the eye to be bulging it means there could be any of the issues bpatters said. Overgrown teeth alone do not cause eye bulging but it can cause an abscess in the top jaw leading to eye bulging. A good guinea pig vet would probably examine the mouth then take an x-ray to determine what is causing the bulge.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.