Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Ringworm / do I have to throw all of their toys away?

PigMom66

Cavy Gazer
Hello,

We adopted two guinea pigs a few weeks ago and one came down with ringworm. The second piggy got it, in a milder form, right after the first. We are now treating them orally and topically and one piggy's skin has cleared up and the other piggy is on the mend. It was only on their noses and very small spots. We have a C & C cage with fleece flippers and they have all kinds of wood toys and wooden and hay tunnels for them to run through. I have received conflicting advice as to whether or not we have to throw away everything that we cannot wash. Some people say yes and some say no. They are shy little babies and thank goodness we can keep their fleece and corner cabins clean, but as for the wood toys and wooden and hay tunnels, do they have to go? I don't mind replacing them, I am just afraid they will not have anything to chew on and also be more stressed with so much space and nowhere to hide and play. Any and all advice would be appreciated. We just want to get them well. :)

PigMom

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They don't need them to chew on -- many guinea pigs never chew anything. It's the grinding motion of eating hay that keeps their teeth ground down.

The conventional wisdom is to throw everything wooden out, and wash everything else in hot water and bleach, then rinse well. I've heard of people baking wooden things in the oven, but don't know how effective it is. Googling the temperature that kills fungus gets you several web sites that say at least 300 degrees for at least 3 hours will do it. Your mileage may vary.

PigMom66

Cavy Gazer
Thank you, I feel better knowing the hay will keep their teeth safe! I will dispose of the wooden and hay items and replace them when we get a negative culture. They just love their tunnels (especially the shy one) and I do not want to stress them more by emptying their cage! They run around that cage like they are in a Nascar race...lol! I love them though, and want what is best for them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.