Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Here & New To Cavies!

cindygill

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone!

My family had cavies when I was really little, so I remember how sweet and fun they are, but not much else.

My husband and I made the decision (kind of on a whim, it's bad, I know!) to get a couple cavies for our 3 year old son to enjoy, as well as us. We weren't educated and hadn't looked into too much and we bought a pet store starter kit/cage and one girl, intending to get the second girl a few weeks later. My 3 year old insisted on naming them Elsa and Anna from Frozen and my head was filled with visions of Frozen themed fleece in a giant C&C cage. Anna is a short hair- white with a black head and big black spots, and one brown right ear.

I am obsessive with research, though, and after getting Anna I went crazy looking everything up. It was then that I realized something didn't seem quite right and verified a few things- Anna was a boy. *facepalm*

Luckily, I discovered this before we got the second girl, and we narrowly avoided a prego piggy. The new owners of the 2 girls in the same cage in the pet store will be in for an adorable surprise, though... Thanks Petco!

After attempting and failing to change his name to something manlier (3 year olds are very persistent) he remains Anna. Now we had a dilemma, though- get him neutered and get a girl companion or attempt to introduce him to a boar? The solution came when I was gathering supplies for a C&C cage and bought grids from a lady in town who was selling all her stuff and giving away her 3 neutered boars because her landlord changed his mind about allowing pets. No way my hubby would go for 4 piggies, I had barely talked him into 2! My sister in law had fallen in love with Anna and was dying to have piggies of her own. She adopted 2 of the trio, and we adopted sweet, adorable, cuddly, laid back Potato. He is super fluffy and brown with lighter tan patches and a single cowlick on his head (can't remember the name for this). We now knew better than buying from a pet store or small cages!

After initially being separated and quarantined, I realized I wasn't sure how to introduce them and the instructions on caviespirit weren't clear. I found clarity and advice in the forums here and we introduced them last night. Other than Anna rumble strutting, pestering, and humping Potato, and Potato acting board with the entire situation and munching on his curly parsley, everything went well. I moved them into the freshly cleaned C&C cage and they seemed ok. I woke up this morning nervous, only to find them cuddling! (Sorry about the red eyes, it's the best picture I could get without disturbing them!) It's funny Anna, the little one, is dominant but Potato just has no interest in it.

Thank goodness I found you all and your help/information! I am now a very educated cavy owner/lover. :)

Sorry it's so long! I just had to share our story!

Note on the cages- the left is our new 2.5x4 C&C cage with a 2.5x1 loft, the right the biggest cage at the pet store. Sooo glad I learned about C&C cages! The other is tiny!!! Also, I intended the C&C to be 2.5x5 but I measured wrong when I cut the coroplast... *double facepalm* I'm hoping to expand eventually, though, to a 2.5x5 with a loft on each end. When I can convince my hubby they need more space- he thought the little cage was fine and that I was crazy, but agrees now they look comfy in the big cage.

That is also my 11 month old daughter- she adores the piggies, says Anna, and sits there smiling and babbling to them all the time. :) She loves them almost as much as my 3 year old who runs around going on and on about them and always wanting to give them veggies and get them out for floor time.

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg

trenbeau

Cavy Slave
How great is it that you realized Anna was a boy! Holy that could have been a big oopsie! Your cage looks wonderful, congratulations on being an awesome person that actually researches what the proper care for their pets is! It looks like the boars have a wonderful home with you (LOL I love potato's name). Welcome to the forum! It's full of great information!

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum. Such a wonderful story so glad your giving them such a great life.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum. Such a wonderful story so glad you giving them such a great life.

Photolove3

Cavy Slave
I have a guinea pig named Potato too! Welcome to the fourm. So cute that your little girl won't change Anna's name.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Sry I don't know why it doubled posted.

NikkisPigs

Cavy Slave
Haha! Your piggies are adorable! Congrats on proper piggie care =)

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Welcome! High five to your daughter for challenging gender norms!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome to the forum! Anna and Potato are adorable!

cindygill

Cavy Gazer
Thanks everyone!!! This site is great, I love it! I got a better picture of them sharing some lettuce too, sooooo relieved they get along!

I also just realized that I didn't specify, my 3 year old is a boy. He is obsessed with guns, cars, and super heroes but is also absolutely in love with Frozen, Sofia the First, and all Tinkerbell movies. Daddy wants him to be a manly little guy, but I rather let him like what he likes and not force labels one way or another. He will be around all the girly stuff anyway because of his sister, so they can enjoy everything together. :)

No idea why it posts my pics sideways...

Attachments

image.jpg

pigger123

Cavy Slave
They're so cute! Great job on your cage, and thanks for taking the time to research your piggies' needs!

kanojochan

Cavy Slave
Hurray for a boy named Anna! I bet that'll confuse a lot of people and it shall be hilarious XD
Your story is wonderful, too! So glad you did your research and avoided a big OOPS~
As for your son, no need to push "manly" things on him, I think it's great that you're letting him enjoy what he enjoys :]
They're adorable! Congrats!

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
Welcome! You defiantly avoided a big mistake there! Thanks for doing your research and giving them a nice big cage!

Stephanieg518

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome! Thanks for sharing your story. Your piggies (and your little one!!!) are so adorable!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.