PDA

View Full Version : Meet the bunnies

YK Shepherd
09-30-05, 04:06 pm
Here is funny bunny a rescued from a hot car in the middle of summer. The lady had him in a cat carrier in hopes that he would be dead when she returned. A concerned passerby thought it was a cat and called the authorities and I happened to be there and asked if I could have the rabbi because they were going to put him down. He has been a great addition to our family.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/yuckaduck/fun1.jpg

YK Shepherd
09-30-05, 04:07 pm
Here is Rex another rescue found in the woods in his cage and brought to me. He too is a welcome addition.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/yuckaduck/dwuedv_th.jpg

YK Shepherd
09-30-05, 04:10 pm
Here is Ruby and Fred another rescue. Fred is the chincillia, they came to me sharing a cage. Now they play together when I am watching but they have their own cages.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/yuckaduck/dwue51_th.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/yuckaduck/dwudya_th.jpg

naturestee
09-30-05, 06:04 pm
What beautiful bunnies! I'm in love with Rex- I'm such a sucker for rexes!

Percy's Mom
09-30-05, 06:39 pm
I happened to be there and asked if I could have the rabbi because they were going to put him down.

I know you meant RABBIT, but I got the image of you rescuing a RABBI when you left the T off.

YK Shepherd
09-30-05, 06:53 pm
I know you meant RABBIT, but I got the image of you rescuing a RABBI when you left the T off.

It was actually a TYPO the T was not forgotten on purpose. Sorry!

Percy's Mom
09-30-05, 07:21 pm
I guess I should have put a smiley or something at the end of that to indicate that it was a joke. I think it's great that you take all of these rabbits in that need your help. They look very healthy and well taken care of.

Alanas
10-01-05, 07:38 am
That poor bunny! Did you meet the person who left him in the car? I swear I would have felt like punching her in the face! Was she charged with animal cruelty? Why did she have a rabbit in the first place.

I rescued my first bunny today. I have guinea pigs but I have a nice big avery for 'bunny' to run around in until I make him a proper C & C cage. I don't know what to call him. He is a creamy colour with brownish ears and nose. He is so cute. He was dumped on a man who owns a second hand furniture shop near my place, and he asked if I could look after him, so I took him home! He seems in really good health, but I am searching the rabbit forums on here to learn as much as I can.

zakfoxmom
10-01-05, 07:49 am
They are all gorgeous! My favorite though is he car bunny :-)

YK Shepherd
10-01-05, 07:59 am
That poor bunny! Did you meet the person who left him in the car? I swear I would have felt like punching her in the face! Was she charged with animal cruelty? Why did she have a rabbit in the first place.

I rescued my first bunny today. I have guinea pigs but I have a nice big avery for 'bunny' to run around in until I make him a proper C & C cage. I don't know what to call him. He is a creamy colour with brownish ears and nose. He is so cute. He was dumped on a man who owns a second hand furniture shop near my place, and he asked if I could look after him, so I took him home! He seems in really good health, but I am searching the rabbit forums on here to learn as much as I can.

I not only met the lady I knew her. She was a dog person and she moved into an apartment so traded her dog for a rabbit. Apparently the rabbit chewed up the wires in her apartment so she wanted to get rid of it. SHe could not find a home the whole one day she looked so she figured it was an easy solution. Yes she was charged with animal cruelty, and failing to provide the necesaties of life. It had no food or water all day. I believe she agreed to a fine and some community service. Not sure on that though!

I never leave funny bunny unattended when loose because I have a dog and two toddlers but he does not chew my wires. But then I do not give him the opportunity either, I am responsible about my bunnies. He is litter trained to a point; he pushes all the litter out of the corner litter box and then uses it on the floor. Ok so he does not quite understand the point but it is better then going everywhere so I use puppy pads in front of the litter box and I have a tray there so in fact he is not going on the floor anymore. Hey it works for us!

Alanas
10-02-05, 08:07 am
Okay second day with my rescue rabbit didn't go very well. He managed to scratch me inside my nose causing a nose bleed that was so bad that blood went down my throat and in my mouth. At first I thought he must have torn my nose right through, then I figured it out. Then later I decided to clip his nails, I have had experience doing this with my piggies, he got angry and showed me his teeth and chattered his teeth at me. I have looked around on sites to find out ways to get your rabbit to trust you and be calm, but haven't found much, whenever I find stuff on rabbits it says "how to make rabbit stew" etc, which I find horrifying. Anyway, can you wonderful rabbit lovers give me some advice?
I have some names I thought might be good:
Chomp, Scratch, Barney, Thump, pazzo (means crazy in italian), puff, I don't know. I have put some pictures on here of him, maybe you can give me an idea of a name.

bunnyluv17
10-02-05, 01:15 pm
He reminds me of a rabbit named Cocoa, she had the same beautiful coloring.

If he is not neutered, then I would highly reccomend it since should help with some of his aggression and/or hormonal behavior.

I've found that the easiest way to trim a rabbit's nails is to sit them on your lap; handle him firmly, but gently.

Rabbits love when you spend time on the floor with them, and the more time you spend with him and the more he's out of the cage, the friendlier he will become.

www.rabbit.org (http://www.rabbit.org) is an awesome website on rabbit care.

Alanas
10-02-05, 07:24 pm
Thank you so much bunnyluv! I am not sure how old he is, but I have a good small animals vet. I will have to wait until next week to get him neutered, do you think that will be okay? Also, I have heard that some people put their rabbits on a leash, is this harmful? Would you reccomend it?

naturestee
10-03-05, 06:38 am
Alanas, this article is called "Winning over a Shy Bunny." I have it in my bunny binder (printed off articles for safe keeping) because it would be helpful for anybody bunnysitting for me. http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/shybun.html

It is from this site, which rocks. There are more articles on shy and aggressive bunnies here, as well as medical and care articles on just about anything you can think of. Plus it is a rescue-oriented anti-breeding site. http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabrefs.html

It sounds like he is not used to being handled and is scared. For cutting his nails, I would recommend having one person hold him while the other cuts. For struggling bunnies, I hold them with one hand around their upper chest just below their front legs and one hand under their butt. If he gets a little more calm the holder can snuggle him to her chest, resting him on a crooked arm and a nand on the shoulders to pet and hold down in case he tries to jump. If you are working alone, try making a bunny burrito. Wrap him securely but not too tightly in a towel. Take out one paw at a time to clip the nails.

I would give him a little time before you neuter him. He's been under a lot of stress. Let him get used to living with you for a few weeks first.

Same thing goes with the harness and leash. Wait until he is used to being handled by you. Then start by practicing with it inside. Not all rabbits will take to a harness. I had tried with Mocha when she was a baby, but she hated the first type and the second type scared her so badly she went tearing around the room. The poor girl couldn't be caught until her harness hooked on her cage door. Luckily she was not hurt.

I am a member of a rabbit forum that I think is really great. I will not post it here as it does allow breeding talk, although the majority of members are owned by pet rabbits. You can PM me if you want the link.

Angela

bunnyluv17
10-03-05, 10:09 am
Waiting until next week or even several weeks would be fine.

Some rabbits tolerate a leash and harness well, while others absolutely hate it. My dwarf rabbit does fine with the harness, but we used to have a female lop that would chew the front part of the harness. She would also put her front paws through the harness and then squeeze out.

When your rabbit settles down, you can try a harness on him and see how it goes. When you take him outside for the first time, make sure it is in a fenced-in area just in case he escapes from the harness.

I would reccomend a harness like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Comfort-Harness-Leash-Guinea-Rabbit-Large-NEW_W0QQitemZ7716581088QQcategoryZ1286QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It is the harness we have for our rabbit, and it is pretty easy to adjust and put on.

kimberly78
10-03-05, 12:40 pm
awwwww I love your bunnies too sweet. Very nice to see they have such a loving parent now :)

YK Shepherd
10-05-05, 08:45 pm
awwwww I love your bunnies too sweet. Very nice to see they have such a loving parent now :)

I have a zoo, at least I think so! We love them all! Thanks!:love:

Bunny Gurl
10-06-05, 07:20 pm
They are all so sweet and cute looking I think funny bunny is the cutest though

YK Shepherd
10-06-05, 07:30 pm
They are all so sweet and cute looking I think funny bunny is the cutest though

Thank you very much, he is the nicest temperment wise too!:)