Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Is this fine?

piggiepigstv

Cavy Slave
My boar is around 4 months old and he has a croaky-hoarse squeek. He is eating alot,pooping and drinking perfectly and his weight is normal. Any ideas?

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Any ideas about what? If his appetite is good. He is pooping and drinking. His weight is normal. What aren't you sure about?

piggiepigstv

Cavy Slave
He has a croaky squeek and im worried if something happened to his squeek box or possibly URI?

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Has he ever been able to week normally?

Some guinea pigs just have really horse sounding voices, particularly if they don't vocalise very often. However if he was able to vocalise normally before then it is certainly something to be concerned about and keep an eye on.

Photolove3

Cavy Slave
One of my boars is the same way. He does not get vocal a lot but when he does it sounds nothing like my other ones wheeking. But it's always been that way for him and he eats and drinks and poops all normal and stuff.

daisy1cow

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My little guy who is almost 3 months old is a hoarse squeaker too. Like he just woke up and his voice is a bit hoarse, but after a few good squeaks, he sounds fine and loud, really loud.
Maybe they are going through puberty and their voices are changing!!! HAHAHAHAHA

Photolove3

Cavy Slave
I feel like mine (he is also younger) doesn't know how to wheek cause he only ever tries when everyone else is screaming at the top of their lungs for breakfast.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Ferb was hoarse when he had a URI, so if he was wheeking without being hoarse and now he's suddenly hoarse you may want to take him to the vet and have it checked out. @daisy1cow I was wondering if their voices do change? Penny used to have a much higher purr and now it's a lower pitch but her angry/scared duurrr is even lower pitched so they are still different.

daisy1cow

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@Rywen, that is interesting and in a girl. Hmmm. My little guy has always been hoarse the first couple of squeaks then it comes in full force. The others don't have to squeak, he is loud enough for all 5 of them! His mom is a loud mouth too though!! hahahaha

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Penny was 4 months when I got her and now she's 8 months, and I noticed the lower pitch about 6 weeks ago. Maybe she's just more comfortable, she is still skittish but not nearly as much as when I adopted her.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.