PDA

View Full Version : Hi, looking at buying a pig

isaacsilvers
08-06-14, 06:09 pm
I am looking at buying a pig and need advice on what to get. I have a chi-weenie dog that was very careful and gentle with a Syrian hamster that died last night. I have never had a pig before and was wondering what the upkeep, start up and veterinary costs would be.

are there different breeds for the pigs and which breed would be best with my puppy?

Starthecavy123
08-06-14, 06:16 pm
Yes there are different breeds of guinea pigs. They're not really breeds but different coat types. Guinea pigs are definitely more work than hamsters. If your looking into pigs you should know they do better in pairs. You also need to watch all interactions between the dog and the pigs. You never wany to leave them unsupervised. Please adopt don't shop.

isaacsilvers
08-06-14, 06:19 pm
I haven't even thought that far, I just need to know if I can care for one or more, before I decide to buy.

Starthecavy123
08-06-14, 06:22 pm
Guinea pigs also have different dietary needs. They will also need a larger cage. The nutrition section has a food chart if you want to check that out.

Starthecavy123
08-06-14, 06:24 pm
Haha I didn't even welcome you anyway welcome to the forum.

isaacsilvers
08-06-14, 06:29 pm
I used a tote like this, that I made. There is three holes in it where I pushed the water bottle through. http://www.organizeit.com/images/cb-60.jpg . And Thank you for the welcome.

Starthecavy123
08-06-14, 06:32 pm
A guinea pig would need a different cage then that. For instance here's my cage67738

pigger123
08-06-14, 06:37 pm
Welcome! Guinea pigs definitely need much, much larger cages than hamsters (partly because they're bigger, partly because they can't run on wheels so they need a lot of space to run laps in), and they have more complicated diets. They also do better with a lot of attention and companionship, whereas hamsters are pretty much okay by themselves as long as they get taken care of. Piggies require a lot of time to prepare their veggies, spot clean their cage every day, take them out for floor time and cuddles, etc. On the plus side, pigs are more interactive than hamsters in my opinion, by wheeking loudly for food, purring when you pet them, and generally being more social.

isaacsilvers
08-06-14, 06:43 pm
but would it take the same amount of floor space?

pigger123
08-06-14, 06:45 pm
That depends on how much floor space your hamster cage takes up. A guinea pig cage would probably take up a lot more floor space.

isaacsilvers
08-06-14, 06:48 pm
I have an almost 400 sq ft. floor space the picture of the tote I sent the link for was 140sq qt. How much floor space is the minimum for a pig?

pigger123
08-06-14, 06:51 pm
For a pair of female pigs you want at least 9 square feet, but you need 12 for a pair of boys. These are the bare minimums though, bigger is always better!

isaacsilvers
08-06-14, 06:52 pm
just want to make sure I would have the space for it, that is all.

pigger123
08-06-14, 06:55 pm
A standard 2x4 C&C cage is about 2.5 feet by 5 feet, and that's the recommended size for two girls.

isaacsilvers
08-06-14, 06:57 pm
do you have a link, to a goo size cage?

Starthecavy123
08-06-14, 06:58 pm
Here's where it shows how to make one and proper sizes. www.guineapigcages.com/howto/

pigger123
08-06-14, 06:59 pm
You can also buy them from guineapigcagesstore.com

isaacsilvers
08-06-14, 07:02 pm
the covered ones I think would be best, because of my puppy.

guineapigcraz27
08-06-14, 07:05 pm
Welcome to the forum! If you check out the photo gallery you can find some neat ideas for a cage, http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/cages/index1.html

isaacsilvers
08-06-14, 07:09 pm
where would you buy guinea pig cages? Pet stores were no good for my hamster, that's why I made my own don't trust them for exotic animals.

I like the multilevel ones

Starthecavy123
08-06-14, 07:10 pm
You can buy one here www.guineapigcagesstore.com or you can build your own which you can find how here www.guineapigcages.com/howto/

isaacsilvers
08-06-14, 07:16 pm
if I am going to spend so much on a cage, I am thinking it might be better to get more then 2

Starthecavy123
08-06-14, 07:18 pm
That's well and good but you don't want to take on to many. You want to make sure you can afford more than 2. Also vet cost would be more for multiple pigs than 1 pig.

isaacsilvers
08-06-14, 07:19 pm
that's true. I think I will order the supplies and then look into the adoption. What is it like taming one? or is that even necessary?

Starthecavy123
08-06-14, 07:23 pm
Also making the cage on your own would be alot less. But some prefer to buy them than building their. Most likely a guinea pig rescue will have them already tamed. The first day I suggest you let them settle in for a few days. Then you can start talking to them hand feeding them and petting. Guinea pigs are prey animals so you don't want to come right at them. I like letting my boys check out my hand first then pet them. If you sneak up on them they'll just run from you. You want to let them know your there till they get used to you. Every guinea pig is different and have different personalities. My one boy doesn't like being touched at all.

isaacsilvers
08-06-14, 07:34 pm
I made my hamsters cage so that's not a problem. As long as I know what I am doing. so I guess the next step would be, how does adopting a guinea pig work?

Starthecavy123
08-06-14, 07:36 pm
You can search rescues and shelters in your area. Pretty much just like if you would adopt a dog or cat. You can also try petfinder.com

Starthecavy123
08-06-14, 07:37 pm
Pretty much just like you would adopt a dog or cat. Just Google rescues and shelter in your area. You can also try petfinder.

isaacsilvers
08-06-14, 07:37 pm
there is a humane shelter not far away.

Starthecavy123
08-06-14, 07:39 pm
You can try them and if they don't have any you can leave your name and number. There are also guinea pig specific rescues you can find. Or like I said try petfinder.

isaacsilvers
08-06-14, 07:40 pm
alright thank you. I will check it out, you all have been very helpful. I definitely want one.

Starthecavy123
08-06-14, 07:44 pm
Your welcome :) That's how I got my two boys. After Star died I went to my humane society and said I was looking for some guinea pigs. And they told me someone called them wanting to surrender two pigs. So they allowed me to leave my name and number so when they arrived they could contact me. And they contacted me the next day saying they arrived and said I could come see them. And I fell head over heels in love with them. I have no idea why anyone wanted to give them up.

pigger123
08-06-14, 07:46 pm
Covered, multi-level C&C cages: http://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/deluxe-covered-guinea-pig-cages
Pet stores also sell bad stuff for piggies, I would stay away from them for any animals really.

LucidCavies
08-06-14, 07:54 pm
Being that I had a syrian hamster and currently have two male pigs, I might be able to help you out a little being that I know where your coming from.
Hamster need significantly less space,time, and money than a guinea pig.

Guinea pigs need to eat veggies every day.
They need hay everyday.
They need a cage that is at least .7 square meters.
They need to be kept in pairs.

Cages can be bought on this website, or made on your own out of storage cubes and corrugated plastic.

And I think your measurements might have been typos. There is NO way your cage was 120 square feet, inches maybe?

Also, I dont know where you live but I am sure that there are alternatives to buying a guinea pig. We are a pro-adoption forum and discourage purchasing pets! If you need any help, Any of us would be more than happy to help you find an adoptable pig in your area :)

isaacsilvers
08-06-14, 08:49 pm
this is the tote I used to make a D.I.Y cage for Gus. http://www.organizeit.com/images/cb-60.jpg

isaacsilvers
08-06-14, 09:46 pm
I am never buying from a pet store ever again.

ThePigAlchemist
08-07-14, 12:24 am
Totes are a good option for hamsters, but they aren't appropriate for guinea pigs. Hamsters and guinea pigs are very different animals, and the sites the others provided are very good for seeing the kinds of cages that are good for guinea pigs.

Princess_Piggie
08-07-14, 03:43 am
Something I think all piggie newbies should know is that you may never be able have your guinea pig "tame" as we understand the word. Most hate to be picked up, and will run from your hands and hide from you. That being said, once you've actually got them up, some really calm down and relax, but some will never be laying about on your lap half asleep. You need to be aware that all pigs have different personalities, and you may get a pig that simply isn't a cuddler.

With time they may develop enough of a bond with you to want cuddles, but you have to know that if they don't it's not because you're a bad owner or they dislike you, it's just because they're very nervous animals.

isaacsilvers
08-07-14, 08:20 am
Totes are a good option for hamsters, but they aren't appropriate for guinea pigs. Hamsters and guinea pigs are very different animals, and the sites the others provided are very good for seeing the kinds of cages that are good for guinea pigs.

I understand that, I am merely trying to compare the two styles of cages, to figure out floor space.

isaacsilvers
08-07-14, 08:24 am
Something I think all piggie newbies should know is that you may never be able have your guinea pig "tame" as we understand the word. Most hate to be picked up, and will run from your hands and hide from you. That being said, once you've actually got them up, some really calm down and relax, but some will never be laying about on your lap half asleep. You need to be aware that all pigs have different personalities, and you may get a pig that simply isn't a cuddler.

With time they may develop enough of a bond with you to want cuddles, but you have to know that if they don't it's not because you're a bad owner or they dislike you, it's just because they're very nervous animals.

if this is the case, what kind of human interaction can you have with most of them?

Flowering
08-07-14, 11:15 am
You will need
2 piggys or more 30 to 60
Indoor cage 30 to 200
A run outside 20 to 100
Hay every day bedding and food 5 per month
Bedding wood shavings 10 to 20 per month for cleaning out twice per week
Nuggets 20 a bag of excel 10kg nuggets should last 5 months with two piggys
Toys ????
Wood to keep their teeth down 5 per month
Hidey houses one for each piggy 10 to 40 plus if they are made of wood replaced every few months
Vegtables ???
Vet 20 check up every year and a lot more for problems also 50 to neuter a boy
Also include lap blanket food dish and water bottle cleaning products extra storage and tubs. A good hover to clean up or dustpan and brush.

In terms of time each piggy needs 15mins lap time a day and if you can an hour in a run plus spot cleaning the cage daily and providing fresh foods refils etc. Combing cleaning. All takes a lot of time including sourcing supplies.

Overall very costly and timely. Please consider getting more than one piggy because a single piggy has a shorter and unhappier life span.

Flowering
08-07-14, 11:18 am
Most people just enjoy watching them. I personally like to take them out and hold them. They do learn to recognise and trust you but as for teaching tricks and things this is slightly harder I.e most can't be toilet trained.

isaacsilvers
08-07-14, 11:20 am
You will need
2 piggys or more 30 to 60
Indoor cage 30 to 200
A run outside 20 to 100
Hay every day bedding and food 5 per month
Bedding wood shavings 10 to 20 per month for cleaning out twice per week
Nuggets 20 a bag of excel 10kg nuggets should last 5 months with two piggys
Toys ????
Wood to keep their teeth down 5 per month
Hidey houses one for each piggy 10 to 40 plus if they are made of wood replaced every few months
Vegtables ???
Vet 20 check up every year and a lot more for problems also 50 to neuter a boy
Also include lap blanket food dish and water bottle cleaning products extra storage and tubs. A good hover to clean up or dustpan and brush.

In terms of time each piggy needs 15mins lap time a day and if you can an hour in a run plus spot cleaning the cage daily and providing fresh foods refils etc. Combing cleaning. All takes a lot of time including sourcing supplies.

Overall very costly and timely. Please consider getting more than one piggy because a single piggy has a shorter and unhappier life span.

I live in a studio apartment about 400 sq ft. Is outside a requirement? can't I just let them run around on the floor or the apartment? I know grass is an issue? Can you buy grass for them to eat? and can you convert the euro dollars to Us dollars?

Flowering
08-07-14, 11:22 am
I used a tote like this, that I made. There is three holes in it where I pushed the water bottle through. http://www.organizeit.com/images/cb-60.jpg . And Thank you for the welcome.

Hi welcome
Guinea pigs need huge spaces if cramped in small spaces they will fight and go crazy. Plus you are blocking out sound light and air in a pladtic tub. Cages should be 28" by 52" for two piggys.

Starthecavy123
08-07-14, 11:23 am
My one pig Cinna I can't even touch while he's in his cage but once I have him in my arms he's fine. And when he's laying in my lap I can pet him for hours. Gin-Gin on the other I can pet him while in his cage as long as I announce myself. And when I pick him up and place him in my lap he just wants to explore. But of course every pig has a different personality just like people. So you migh get some that act like they want nothing to do with you but its not because they don't like you. Then you might get some that love being cuddled. If you can find a guinea pig rescue they would be able to match you up with a pair.

Flowering
08-07-14, 11:24 am
I live in a studio apartment about 400 sq ft. Is outside a requirement? can't I just let them run around on the floor or the apartment? I know grass is an issue? Can you buy grass for them to eat? and can you convert the euro dollars to Us dollars?

Hi yes they can run around inside although if you have a spare day try taking them to a friends garden with their run. If this is not possible then you can always give them fresh grown grass to eat in their cage. Hope this helps

isaacsilvers
08-07-14, 11:28 am
is there signs to look for if I want a cuddler, I don't mind spending money on them, if I am going to be satisfied with them. Cuddler is not necessary per say just preferred as I have a very loving chi-weenie, that is going crazy without her brother. (my hamster that died.)

isaacsilvers
08-07-14, 11:29 am
Hi yes they can run around inside although if you have a spare day try taking them to a friends garden with their run. If this is not possible then you can always give them fresh grown grass to eat in their cage. Hope this helps

My father has a fenced in yard, that I am at about 2 to 3 days a weeks.

isaacsilvers
08-07-14, 11:35 am
Most people just enjoy watching them. I personally like to take them out and hold them. They do learn to recognise and trust you but as for teaching tricks and things this is slightly harder I.e most can't be toilet trained.

Tricks are for my dog :P

Starthecavy123
08-07-14, 11:38 am
Just make sure to supervise them outside. They are prey animals to everything. And you'll probably want a covered play pen. Normal I wouldn't recommend outside but a fenced yard would probably be okay. Just make sure to cover the play pen so birds can't get them.And you want to stay in eyesight of them things can happen in an instant. Also make sure there are no chemicals or pesticides on the grass to.

Starthecavy123
08-07-14, 11:41 am
is there signs to look for if I want a cuddler, I don't mind spending money on them, if I am going to be satisfied with them. Cuddler is not necessary per say just preferred as I have a very loving chi-weenie, that is going crazy without her brother. (my hamster that died.)
As I said above if you have a guinea pig rescue they will actually be able to match you with a pair. Just tell them what kind of personality your looking for. Then they can suggest a few and you can interact with them.

Starthecavy123
08-07-14, 11:44 am
If you post what city/state you live in we may be able to search for some places for you.

isaacsilvers
08-07-14, 11:47 am
As I said above if you have a guinea pig rescue they will actually be able to match you with a pair. Just tell them what kind of personality your looking for. Then they can suggest a few and you can interact with them.

thank you, this actually is a very comforting.

isaacsilvers
08-07-14, 11:48 am
If you post what city/state you live in we may be able to search for some places for you.

Boise, ID

Princess_Piggie
08-07-14, 11:57 am
Don't let pigs loose on grass that has ever been chemically treated in any way (weed killer, artificial growth supplements etc), and always always supervise them. That means eyes on them 100% of the time, because we've had a couple of incidences of "I only looked away for a second" and a predator has got to them. We even had a case where someone's pigs got bitten by rats (non domestic ones, so there was also the risk of disease as well as the risk of infection and the stress of being attacked). You'd need a very secure pen with just as secure a lid to do outside time, but outdoor time isn't necessary. Mine have never been outside (to play, obviously they come outside for vet trips) and I never plan to take them outside. Too big a risk for me.

Starthecavy123
08-07-14, 12:02 pm
You can also try guinea pig zone or the adoptables section on this forum.

isaacsilvers
08-07-14, 12:08 pm
I found the rat retreat

Starthecavy123
08-07-14, 12:21 pm
Or you can also give these websites a try http://www.happycavy.com/guinea-pig-rescues-usa-canada-uk-australia/#usa

http://www.guinealynx.info/rescue_organizations.html#WA

I found some in Washington but not sure if you want to go that far or not. I would call them ahead of time.

isaacsilvers
08-08-14, 11:04 am
I think I am going to get a couple dwarf hamsters. and wait until I have a little more money for the pig.