Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Possible head-tilt

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Today, I noticed Cherry is beginning to tilt her head. Usually after she's done eating her pellet mash, she'll shake to get the mash off of her chin and tilt her head when she's done. She'll set herself straight after a few seconds, but I've seen her do this several times today.

Is she developing a head-tilt? I don't know much about head-tilt; is it caused by neurological issues or ear infection? Should I take her to the vet?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd take her to the vet. Head tilts are most often caused by ear infections, and you stand a better chance of getting the tilt reversed or stopped if you can get the infection cleared up. As with most things, prompt treatment is usually the easiest and cheapest, since an infection that has been around for a while may be more difficult to cure.

spudsthepiget

Cavy Slave
Alrighty, I'll call around tomorrow and see if I can get an appointment tomorrow or Monday.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Poor Cherry, let us know how it goes, hopefully it will be easy to treat.

spudsthepiget

Cavy Slave
I have an appointment for her tomorrow morning. The vet I wanted to take her to is booked full this week, so I had to call the first vet I took her to when she started having teeth trouble.

spudsthepiget

Cavy Slave
The vet took swabs from her ears and confirmed she has an infection in her left ear. She gave me some Baytril drops to put in her ear to help clear up the infection.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I hope she gets better fast! Poor Cherry, ear infections hurt.

spudsthepiget

Cavy Slave
I'm really having a hard time with the ear drops. Cherry will not hold still and as soon as I put the nozzle to her ear, she'll shake and get the drops all down her neck. I'm afraid of accidentally getting it into her eyes. I've tried burritoing her, but she can wiggle out of it. Any suggestions?

Rywen

Cavy Slave
That sounds like me trying to put eye drops into Ferb's eyes. I'm convinced that whoever can invent a safe, cruelty free guinea pig restraint system where you can have just their head out, or one foot (for nail trimming) will make a fortune. Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.