PDA

View Full Version : Liners Uhaul pad types

barbaramudge
08-01-14, 12:25 am
Furniture pad vs quilted pad. I would think the quilted pad might be better since it's "covered" and quilted. Know what I mean? Having read people talking about fuzz and whatnot on the furniture pads and the denim fraying I would think the quilted pad would hold up a bit better. Yes? Has anyone used the quilted pad vs the furniture padding under their fleece? I'm hoping to shop tomorrow and make liners this weekend before our vacation next week. Thanks for your help!

lissie
08-01-14, 12:42 am
I don't know if the quilted pads are as absorbent. It's the denim in the denim pads that made it work so well as an absorbent layer.

barbaramudge
08-01-14, 12:47 am
I'll have to ask when I go because the website isn't very helpful. It kind seemed like the quilted pad is the furniture pads inside but with the quilted cotton cover. Maybe not though. I was talking to my seamstress guru down the street, she wondered if I made like a pillow case with fleece, two layer of Uhaul and then a cheap cotton bottom if that would wash and dry better. She thought if I washed it as one piece but dried it separately if the Uhaul would hold up better and not muck up my machine. Has anyone tried this?

lissie
08-01-14, 12:55 am
I've been using uhaul pads without sewing. They only shed the first three or four washes. After that they don't shed anymore.

lost_lover
08-01-14, 01:44 am
If I remember correctly from using the quilted pads for moving the fabric that is used on the outside repels liquid more than absorbs...good in a moving pad but not good for this.

I was thinking of trying to make a cotton cover for the uhaul padding as well. Right now I am using loose fleece though because I just have not had a chance to prewash all of my fabric for pads. Prewashing the fleece three times will get pricey at the laundromat.

barbaramudge
08-01-14, 06:17 am
Good to know lissie thanks! lost_lover now that you mention that about the cover, I have a vague recollection of reading that as well. Guess I'll stick with the tried and true Uhaul pad then. I feel for you on the laundromat. I hadn't been in one for years but went with a friend last month and couldn't believe the prices! My washing machine is messed up and I have to go down and spin the timer a couple times to get it to go through all the cycles but I'd rather do that then the laundromat. I think I will try making the pillowcase style pocket for the pad on the back of the fleece. I'll let ya know how it works out!

daisy1cow
08-01-14, 07:40 am
When we first read about uhaul pads, we went down and got the quilted blue ones for around $17. There ok, they absorb ok, but the greyish colored ones work better and are way cheaper. You can get 2 for the price of the blue quilted one.
We still use both because thats what we have, but no difference in absorbency, just cheaper and work just as well.

Starthecavy123
08-01-14, 10:44 am
You don't want the quilted just get the original recycled denim uhaul pads. The quilted ones aren't as obsorbent. Plus they're more expensive. The recycled denim pad are only $7.

lissie
08-01-14, 11:22 am
Good to know lissie thanks! lost_lover now that you mention that about the cover, I have a vague recollection of reading that as well. Guess I'll stick with the tried and true Uhaul pad then. I feel for you on the laundromat. I hadn't been in one for years but went with a friend last month and couldn't believe the prices! My washing machine is messed up and I have to go down and spin the timer a couple times to get it to go through all the cycles but I'd rather do that then the laundromat. I think I will try making the pillowcase style pocket for the pad on the back of the fleece. I'll let ya know how it works out!

Why not just sew fleece to the uhaul pad? Many people here sew them in this order fleece-uhaul-fleece.

barbaramudge
08-01-14, 01:05 pm
Why not just sew fleece to the uhaul pad? Many people here sew them in this order fleece-uhaul-fleece.

Drying time really. I want to be able to dry the Uhaul separately. I'm going to cut the fleece a couple inches bigger so I can clip it to my walls and then cut the pads a hair smaller than the floor. I'll use cheap cotton to make a pocket on the back to keep the pads where they belong. That way, I can separate the pads to dry them well.

WheekedGoodPigs
08-01-14, 01:15 pm
Could someone link to the Uhaul pads? We use the puppy pads and I'm having to change everything every couple of days, it'd be nice to have them last/not smell a lot longer.

Starthecavy123
08-01-14, 01:17 pm
Just go to the uhaul website and find the moving supplies.

lissie
08-01-14, 01:20 pm
Could someone link to the Uhaul pads? We use the puppy pads and I'm having to change everything every couple of days, it'd be nice to have them last/not smell a lot longer.

http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Protective-stuff/Furniture-Pad?id=2670

WheekedGoodPigs
08-01-14, 02:05 pm
Thank you lissie!