Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps piggie loft ramp training

Noodles02

Cavy Slave
I recently got a new cage for my 2 piggies and added a small loft. Neither of them seem to understand how a ramp works.. Ive tried to encourage them up by putting treats up there.. and after an hour or more or stretching and trying to reach the treats without going up, and trying to run under the ramp to find a way up. Eventually the one who enjoys jumping onto, over or into EVERYTHING, just jumped up and while i watched him for 5-10 minutes taking 2 bites out of every carrot piece, lettuce piece, cucumber piece before spitting them out and moving to the next while the other one just gaveup and looked like he was sulking in his hidey hole, i just grabbed half of he treats and gave them to the piggie who gave up.

Anyone got any tips or tricks to train piggeis or show them how a ramp works? Even if they don't like using the loft id like to put one hay rack and pellet bowl up there and one feeding station down below so that they can both eat in peace without any bullying. But at the moment there is a bit of bullying and the lower feeding station runs out very quickly while the loft is untouched so i do really want them to realize that it is up there and it isn't scary.. lol.

How steep is the ramp? The first ramp I made was too steep and my pigs refused to use it, but the minute I lengthened it, they were all about it.

Its about 35 degrees as it stands but its parallel to the loft.. i figured if i put it that way it might be more obvious "oh if i just go over to this side i can get up"

If i put it perpendicular its about 30 degrees.

my guinea pigs are trained to do tricks, and ramps and balance beams (6" wide) are still their least favorite (i have to lure them with cilantro). guinea pig eyes are on either side of their head, so i don't think they have depth perception. usually though, after they've been around the equipment quite a few times, they'll start getting familiar with it. i would try using their very favorite veggie treats, and gently lure them up the ramp with. you could also leave a trail of treats going up the ramp, to encourage them.

For me, since I used to have a pet store cage with a ramp, she's always been used to having a ramp. When I made her an actual upper loft (it was a half one before) the ramp seemed steeper and she didn't grasp that concept. I placed her halfway on it and she walked back down. It took about 5 minutes before she full charged up the ramp. She didn't need treats or anything. But while I was on vacation, we had her in her store bought cage and she didn't understand how to go up that ramp. I put vegetables and she would go on her hind legs to reach all them. There was one at the very top and she kept trying to get it but gave up and literally jumped up the ramp.
Try placing them on the ramp halfway because they either have to go up or down and will actually feel for themselves what it feels like to be on a ramp. It helped with me so I hope it helps with you!

My current Guinea Pig took to a ramp in about 20 minutes . What I did was have her food on the loft and then shook a bag and put some food in my hand. I lured her up (with a bit of nibbling, obviously, since I smelled like her pellets) and she ate and did the Guinea stuff. When she was done she went to the top of the ramp and jumped. I then made it less steep and now she runs up and down. (Until I took it off because shes a jumper.) (Its only a half way loft by the way! Shes not jumping off some tall loft!)

My pigs didn't use their loft at all for a while but after like a month they started to just go up any explore all by themselves. After I thought they were proficient at using the ramp and knowing where it goes I turned their loft into a kitchen area so now they are up there all the time.

My girls love the loft. Even so, when I changed the layout and ramp type they weren't too sure about it. They tend to run when I try to pick them up so I used that to herd them up the ramp. That worked and once I herded them to run up, they found their own way down and started using it more frequently.

Another thing to note is that the texture should be something that they can get a good grip on. The first ramp I tried was plastic. Even though it had texture so it wasn't slippery, they would refuse to use it. I cut a strip out of an old teeshirt and clipped that over top of it for traction and they took to it quickly. Now I have a ramp from here: https://www.guineapigcagesstore.com/ramps and they love it. I have a spare carpet cover so that I can swap and wash them. They just love to sit at the top and pee down the ramp for some reason...

As @ginipigsinspace mentioned, the angle may be too sharp. Try putting something under the end to make it shallower. I use the large Fiddle Sticks hidey to make a ramp and have the actual ramp start from the top of that. They love it and easily go up and down, plus Penny loves to make the fiddle stick hidey her Harry Potter room (under the stairs). Sorry, I'm at work or I'd provide pigtures.

I didn't want to start a new thread cause it's the same topic so I got another loft for one of my cages and at first the two piggies ignored the fact that it was there (expected) but I came home last night and one of the girls was up there. So I moved a hidey house and some hay and water up for her too and it's morning now and she still hasn't left the loft. Do you think she even remembers how she got there? I have hay, pellets, water and have salad on both levels so each pig can eat and drink and stuff. Should I put her back to the bottom? I don't want to discourage loft use cause once they both learn I plan on making it the kitchen area like I did with one of my other cages.

My guinea pig was in a pet store cage when I first got him and I got him a C&C cage shortly after and what I did to ensure he would use the ramp is I put him in the loft first, then I put a treat on the top of the ramp and another at the center. He didn't understand what to do at first but he eventually found both treats and ran to the bottom part of the cage after a few minutes. Once he understood there were two levels he started running up and down his ramp, I also use carefresh bedding in my cage and put some bedding on his ramp so it would blend in with the rest of his cage and I think that might have helped too. = )

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.