Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urine Possible causes of crystals and bacteria found in urine ...

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Hey,

Back in May I posted about Funky and Spunky who both got an infection because I stupidly reused hay that I thought had not been touched. Anyhow, close to $1000 later, by the beginning of June they both seemed fine. About the end of June, I started to hear Funky grumble like he was in pain and I wasn't even touching him. Then I noticed him wheeking while he pooped. Last week, I noticed his urine was pink so I assumed he had sand/crystals. The bloody urine actually only lasted one day, and I thought he had improved. I brought him to the vet yesterday and they found crystals and bacteria in his urine. Does urine in his bladder mean he has a UTI?

The crystals did not surprise me but the bacteria did. My question is: Is the bacteria linked the initial May infection? Or is it more likely due to long bum fur, sitting in his own pee? I did notice his bum area being quite wet!! Lastly, do bladder stones themselves cause UTI's or do UTI's cause bladder stones?

Thank - you!
Helena

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Bumping this up

pinky

Cavy Slave
Crystals can be a precursor to stones. The irritation from crystals or stones can lead to a bladder infection. I don't think it's connected to the hay. It's probably more due to being genetically predisposed to stone formation, excess calcium in the diet or laying in his own waste. Stones can lead to a UTI but a UTI won't "cause" stones. He should be on an antibiotic and a probiotic. What did your vet do for the $1000?

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Thanks Pinky for the reply! I think UTI can cause stones. I copied and pasted for two difference websites/sources. Below is the reference:

"Some guinea pigs, especially females, may have a bacterial bladder infection that contributes to the formation of
bladder stones." Note: my piggie is boar, male!
CAUSES
• Sometimes caused by bacterial urinary tract infection—E. coli, Streptococcus pyogenes, Staphylococcus spp.,
and occasionally other bacteria have been reported.
(broken link removed)

And from GuineaLynx medical reference:

PREVENTION

The cause of bladder stone formation is poorly understood. Because stones seem to run in families, it is likely there is a strong genetic component. Frequent urinary tract infections have also been implicated, as well as improper diet, inadequate water intake, and obesity.

Do you have a reference for stones leading to UTI's because I've been trying to find one. Like you, I thought stones can lead to UTI but I haven't found "proof". I'm asking because I'm trying to figure out why Funky is sick again. Is it related to the May infection or a brand new one? Also, will the stone lead to more infections?

PS - It was approx. $1000 (actually less & for two guinea pigs, not just one) included examination ($70 for each visit, and I had to go back numerous times, less for follow up visits), x-ray ($90), medication (for two guinea pigs = $200) and hospitalization ($200, i think). I almost lost one piggie twice. He completely stopped pooping for over 12 hours one time and another time his eyes went towards the back of his head and receded. It was really scary to watch. So, they gave him fluids.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Thanks Pinky for the reply! I think UTI can cause stones. I copied and pasted for two difference websites/sources. Below is the reference:

"Some guinea pigs, especially females, may have a bacterial bladder infection that contributes to the formation of
bladder stones." Note: my piggie is boar, male!
CAUSES
• Sometimes caused by bacterial urinary tract infection—E. coli, Streptococcus pyogenes, Staphylococcus spp.,
and occasionally other bacteria have been reported.
(broken link removed)

And from GuineaLynx medical reference:

PREVENTION

The cause of bladder stone formation is poorly understood. Because stones seem to run in families, it is likely there is a strong genetic component. Frequent urinary tract infections have also been implicated, as well as improper diet, inadequate water intake, and obesity.

Do you have a reference for stones leading to UTI's because I've been trying to find one. Like you, I thought stones can lead to UTI but I haven't found "proof". I'm asking because I'm trying to figure out why Funky is sick again. Is it related to the May infection or a brand new one? Also, will the stone lead to more infections?

PS - It was approx. $1000 (actually less & for two guinea pigs, not just one) included examination ($70 for each visit, and I had to go back numerous times, less for follow up visits), x-ray ($90), medication (for two guinea pigs = $200) and hospitalization ($200, i think). I almost lost one piggie twice. He completely stopped pooping for over 12 hours one time and another time his eyes went towards the back of his head and receded. It was really scary to watch. So, they gave him fluids.
Guinealynx is a good source for information on stones. I lost two guinea pigs to stones and don't think there are any concrete answers to why and how they form. Stones are sharp and cause irritation and bleeding, due to sores caused by the abrasion, which can lead to an infection. There are different types of stones. You'd need to have the stone(s) analyzed to see what they are made of to have an idea why they formed. It's not a simple, cut and dry process. If it were, there'd probably be ways to avoid having them form in the first place.

Helena29

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Sorry, just want to understand one more thing...
Spunky and Funky were finished their antibiotics by June 4th. Is it possible this is just a continuation of the initial May infection? I've heard some infections require numerous rounds of antibiotics. Is that true? For the most part, they were both symptom free for all of June, and most of July. What do you all think?
-Thx.
Helena

pinky

Cavy Slave
Sorry, just want to understand one more thing...
Spunky and Funky were finished their antibiotics by June 4th. Is it possible this is just a continuation of the initial May infection? I've heard some infections require numerous rounds of antibiotics. Is that true? For the most part, they were both symptom free for all of June, and most of July. What do you all think?
-Thx.
Helena

It's possible. If bacteria was still present, it could have come back again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.