Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New baby girls are so frozen!

Geranium

Cavy Slave
guinea.jpg
(I have no idea why this appears upside down)

Hey there! I just adopted two one month old baby Abyssinians yesterday, and boy are they cute. They are still frozen though after a day, and haven't eaten or drank anything. I've read you're to give them time alone to adjust, I've also read you're to wrap them in a blanket and hangout with them so they get used to you. They have a huge cage with plenty of hay and hideouts. Currently residing in a cardboard box cutout lol Basically I'm wondering if I'm to leave them be or if I should be trying to tempt them with treats, hangout with them in blankets, etc

P.S. Still haven't decided on names
1. Kenja (Ken-jah) and Qimat (Kee-matt)
2. Tulip and Talia (Tah-lee-ah)

Thanks!

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
You can place some veggies near them. Then once they start moving you can try hand feeding them. But I would just give them 2 more days. Just make sure they have food near by till they start moving.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Yeah, give them more time. Make sure hay and water at least are right by them.

jinxie

Cavy Slave
I would let them get used to their cage first to learn that is their comfort place. Then you introduce your hand with veggies like green bell pepper cut into strips so they associate hand = good things. Then after a couple days you could handle them in the way you described feeding them veggies the whole time. Are they still frozen? I would drape cloth over the corner of the cage where their hay and water is to make them feel safer. Good luck, that piggie is so cute.

Geranium

Cavy Slave
I let them hide out in there cardboard box all day yesterday, moving the food and water right next to them really helped! They started munching almost instantly, though they stayed in the box. I gave them all today to chill, and took off the box an hour ago and they've been running around so happily, eating veggies and chewing on toys. I'll definitely wait to handle them though. Thanks for the help all, moving the food next to them made everything better. :)

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum, I'm glad they are unfrozen now. They are very cute girls.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Aww I'm so glad to hear that :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.