Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Gas and degestive.

AshiixRainbow

Cavy Slave
My Alice has been having gas issues. Today, she seems bloated a bit worse than yesterday and her fur is more poofed up than yesterday. She's still eating vigorously, and drinking well, she's at her bottom more than usual too. I was hoping maybe there would be a home remedy or something that I could do temporary before taking her to an exotic vet. I'm having trouble finding one and her sister just passed away from the same issue. I was given medicine for them and they only gave me one tube for two piggies so I'm guessing that's why the issue is persisting. I found these Oxbow digestive support hay tabs. And was wondering if that might help for awhile? Just until I can find an exotic vet that is closer to where I live. I just felt her stomach and it doesn't feel as tightened as it was yesterday. Hopefully that's good news.

pinky

Cavy Slave
You can give half the pediatric dose of baby simethicone twice a day. Gently massing the stomach also helps.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Along with the simthecone you can also use a vibrating tooth brush to help her move the gas bubbles along. Could you tell us what is she fed, how often and how much? This could help us in identifying the cause of the gas.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I just realised how vague my last post was. To use a vibrating tooth brush you turn it on and hold it gently against the underside of her stomach, I find this method more effective then massaging by hand.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Infant simethicone did wonders for Penny when she was having GI problems, I went ahead and ordered a 3 pack from amazon for the piggie medicine box.

AshiixRainbow

Cavy Slave
I just recently found out two of my other piggies have gas as well. I used to give them a slice of green pepper every day because I had this guinea pig food chart and I didn't know that peppers helped make gas.. They have a carrot a day, green/red lettuce, and hay all day. I also give them celery, and grapes, and strawberries. They were also getting Vitamin C tablets. I've also ordered digestive support hay tabs for them as well. I hope that'll work. I've been giving them the baby simethicone and they're looking a lot better already :) thank you so much. Oh, the fur around my one piggy's mouth is wet every time I go to pick her up, is that normal?

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs need more than one slice of green pepper per day, it's their main and most important source of vitamin C.

Has the pig with the wet mouth been loosing weight at all? Drooling can often be a sign of dental issues which would lead to weight loss (through difficulty eating).

Soecara

Cavy Slave
One of my boys gets bad gas and runny poops from celery, even the smallest bit can trigger him off which is so disappointing for him as this was his favourite veg. The sugar in fruit can also cause gas but I assume these are given less often. On a side note green bell pepper has never caused gas in any of my gassy pigs but every pig is different.

If the problem persists then you may need to stop veg altogether for a few days then reintroduce them one at a time (with a two day gap between each new veg) this should help pin down exactly what is causing the problem.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.